'Black Swan' author Nassim Taleb cheered capitalism, championed entrepreneurs, and recommended adapting to the pandemic at the BI Global Trends Festival. Here are his 8 best quotes from the interview.
Nassim Nicholas Talebencouraged people to adapt to the pandemic, praised capitalism, and cheered entrepreneurs during an interview at Business Insider's Global Trends Festival on Monday.
- The "
Black Swan" author also slammed the government's response to the pandemic and said that insufficient testing would likely mean a tough winter.
- Here are his eight best quotes from the interview.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Nassim Nicholas Taleb criticized authorities' responses to the pandemic, encouraged people to adapt to business closures, and championed entrepreneurs during an interview at Business Insider's Global Trends Festival on Monday.Taleb is a former hedge-fund manager and the author of "The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable." He is also the scientific advisor to Universa Investments, a "black swan" fund that posted a 4,144% return in the first quarter of this year.
2. "There are ways you can be ahead. You just have to fight." — on adapting to the pandemic. Taleb gave examples of a gym owner pivoting to installing home gyms and a waiter making more money as a delivery driver.Read more: We spoke to 4 US Investing Championship contenders who raked in a combined return of 1,349% in just 9 months. Here are the 11 books they say transformed them into trading juggernauts.
3. "Capitalism is a wonderful mechanism to convert individual human greed into collective virtue."4. "Governments are good at doing things that look important but are not necessarily effective." 5. "We're spending $1 trillion on fighting illusory enemies with very complex nuclear stuff, but you can't do something as basic as test people when they want to board a plane." — on the government's response to the pandemic.
6. "I'm quite pessimistic in the days ahead." — on the likelihood of a spike in coronavirus infections as people spend more time indoors this winter, exacerbated by a lack of systematic testing.7. "Millennials think that joining an NGO is a great way to save the world. I say no. Start a company. That's how you improve mankind. We did not pull 2 billion people out of poverty thanks to NGOs and bureaucrats — we pulled them out thanks to capitalism, by generating economic growth."
8. "A soldier can fail without any shame to the country. We should interpret the failure of entrepreneurs as something that is helping the planet." — on the need to encourage entrepreneurs and remove the stigma of failure.
Read more: A fund manager who's doubling up the competition in 2020 tells us his strategy for investing in the 'K-shaped' economic recovery — and details the only 2 stocks he added as the market recovery took off
- Best mini fridge in India in 2021
- Branded fully automatic washing machines for large families
- Best fully automatic washing machines for effortless washing in India
- India is seeking details on the rise in Swiss bank deposits from the South Asian country
- A UN report says India's new IT rules do not conform with international human rights norms