Climate protesters target JPMorgan's London offices, cracking windows with hammers and chisels
Climateactivists targeted JPMorgan's offices in London, Extinction Rebellion said.
- Eight protesters cracked the glass with painted hammers and chisels.
- The activist group said the protesters were highlighting the
bank's financing of fossil fuels.
Climate protesters from Extinction Rebellion targeted the London offices of JPMorgan on Wednesday, using hammers and chisels to break glass in the doors and windows, the activist group said in a statement.
Eight female Extinction Rebellion activists stuck stickers that read "In case of climate emergency, break glass" onto two of the bank's office windows before breaking them, the group said.
The women used decorated hammers and chisels with the words "care," "love," and "life" painted on them to crack the window. They also sat outside the bank's offices, in London's Embankment, sporting posters that read: "Stop the harm" and "Deeds not words", the group said.
The protest was part of Extinction Rebellion's ongoing campaign against organizations that support the use of fossil fuels. Activists similarly cracked windows at the London headquarters of Barclays and HSBC in April.
JPMorgan has been scrutinized for investing in fossil fuels. The 2021 Fossil Fuel
JPMorgan declined to comment on the incident to Insider.
Insider has reached out to Extinction Rebellion.
"Climate change and the extraction of fossil fuels are causing untold damage to people's lives and livelihoods, and damage to a pane of glass is insignificant in comparison," Sally Davidson, one of the women who cracked JPMorgan's windows, said in Extinction Rebellion's statement.
"If this act of property damage is necessary to raise the alarm about the greater destruction caused by the financial investments of JP Morgan to public attention, then I am prepared to do it," she added.
- India vs Pakistan at ICC T20 World Cup: The ‘Men in Blue’ have a definite advantage in this one
- Tamil drama 'Koozhangal' is India's official entry for Oscars 2022
- ICICI Bank net profit rises 25% on lower provisions in September quarter
- Best keyboard for writers in India
- Best large size party speakers in India