Dow gains 400 points after Trump extends coronavirus social-distancing measures through April
- US stocks rose Monday as investors digested a slew of updates around the coronavirus pandemic.
- President Donald Trump on Sunday extended federal social-distancing guidelines to April 30, abandoning earlier hopes the US economy could reopen by Easter.
- Confirmed global cases of COVID-19 have surged past 735,000, and the death toll continues to rise.
- Read more on Business Insider.
US stocks rose Monday as investors digested a slew of updates around the coronavirus pandemic.President Donald Trump said on Sunday that federal social-distancing measures in the US would continue through April 30, casting aside earlier statements he made about easing coronavirus restrictions and reopening the US economy by April 12.
Here's where the major US indexes stood at 11:15 a.m. ET on Monday:
- S&P 500: 2,593.83, up 2.1%
- Dow Jones Industrial Average: 22,017.21, up 1.8% (380 points)
- Nasdaq composite: 7,691.73, up 2.5%
Abbott Laboratories was a bright spot, gaining as much as 11% in premarket trading following emergency-use approval from the US Food and Drug Administration. The company developed a COVID-19 test that delivers positive results in five minutes and negative ones in 13 minutes.In addition, Congress may be working on extra stimulus relief, Reuters reported. The bill would be the fourth legislative-aid package meant to bolster the US economy amid the coronavirus pandemic. Trump signed a historic $2 trillion bill into law last week. "Investors are likely assuming that in a matter of several weeks or a couple of months, we may return to normal, but that may prove to be a very risky bet," Hussein Sayed, the chief market strategist at FXTM, told Business Insider. Until investors see a "major decline" in the number of COVID-19 cases, "any rally in risk assets may prove to be temporary," he said.
Do you have a personal experience with the coronavirus you'd like to share? Or a tip on how your town or community is handling the pandemic? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us your story.
And get the latest coronavirus analysis and research from Business Insider Intelligence on how COVID-19 is impacting businesses.
- PM Narendra Modi stresses that lockdown will be the last option, says centre and states are working on oxygen supply
- Desperately need supply of oxygen to save lives, appeals Delhi's Ganga Ram Hospital
- 4.6 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine were wasted in India — enough to vaccinate half of Bangalore
- Facebook to start pilot runs for its digital currency ‘Diem’ this year, says report
- SaaS startup Chargebee is the 11th unicorn of 2021 and the sixth for Tiger Global this year alone