I toured an Upper East Side members club for women that costs $3,300 a year, has a strict no-kids policy, and is stocked with $45 CBD gumdrops. Here's a look inside.
- Maison is a members-only women's club on the Upper East Side designed with mothers in mind.
- Founded by fashion blogger Ashley Wu, it opened in February 2019 and features a kitchen, workspaces, and a library designed to feel like your best friend's home.
- Annual membership is $3,300, plus a $275 initiation fee. Maison events include non-toxic manicures, guided meditation, and "lunch-and-learns" on career development and parenting.
- I had the chance to tour the space during Open House New York weekend, during which a handful of members-only spaces throughout New York open to the public.
- I spent one very chic hour at Maison. My tour involved browsing a retail space stocked with things like $45 CBD gummies, and I emerged feeling like, if I had a spare $3,300, a year-long Maison membership would be a good investment in my wellbeing.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more.
Between work, family and home, life can catch up to us.It definitely caught up to me last month, when I moved to NYC from Washington D.C. I quickly discovered that running around Manhattan searching for my first NYC apartment is not for the faint of heart, so I decided to take a break and tour one of the members-only spaces that opened to the public during Open House New York (OHNY) weekend.Advertisement
While browsing the OHNY tour options, I stumbled upon Maison, which markets itself as an "Upper East Side private members club where women - especially mothers - can work, relax, learn, and connect." As soon as I read "scalloped leather wall tiles" in the description, I booked.
Founded by style blogger and mom Ashley Wu, Maison opened in February and is located in an immaculate, window-lined space on the second floor of a building overlooking Lexington Avenue and 85th Street.The majority of members are mothers in their early 30s through 50s from the Upper East Side, Wu told me over the phone, but anyone over the age of 18 can apply. Husbands and significant others are welcome to visit; however, Maison is strictly an adult space. Read: no children.
I don't live on the Upper East Side, but my tour of Maison made me consider moving there just so I can sip cold-brew coffee while gazing out at Lexington Avenue from a soft, terra-cotta-colored couch ahead of a guided meditation class. Here's what Maison is like:
Maison, a members club for women and mothers, is located on the northwest corner of 85th and Lexington Avenue.
The entrance is marked by a small gold plaque.Advertisement
While the street entrance is unassuming, the lobby certainly is not. Walking in, you're treated to a view of scalloped leather wall tiles resembling a mermaid's tail and a gold-accented front desk.
From there, the lobby opens up into a kitchen and dining area.Advertisement
The kitchen is stocked with a mix of complimentary and for-purchase food and beverage options.
Beverage options included cans of Recess sparkling water infused with hemp extracts and adaptogens and serve-yourself cups of bone broth.Advertisement
Peach-lavender kombucha and cold-brew coffee were on tap, and the fridges were stocked with bottles of wine and craft beer.
Everything in the space felt thoughtfully appointed. Case in point: these $25 Porter glasses that match the speckled backsplash.Advertisement
Kitchen seating options include a long black dining table, plush green velvet couch, terra-cotta-colored window seats and this mod swinging chair that I could easily have fallen asleep in while rocking back and forth in the afternoon sun.
Around the corner from the kitchen is a bright hallway filled with work and study spaces, including a row of desks overlooking Lexington Avenue.Advertisement
The hallway leads into the living area and library, where Maison hosts many of its events.
Maison posts its calendar of events on a bulletin board at the club and also shares them in its monthly digital newsletter. Members can sign up for events either on the bulletin board or by email.Advertisement
Maison's other spaces include a row of phone booths and this very chic, jewel-toned bathroom.
Now, here's the catch: the price. Annual membership is $3,300, which amounts to $325 per month, plus a $275 one-time initiation fee.Advertisement
As I left Maison, I exited through the lobby, which took me past a mini retail space stocked with luxury goods curated by Wu.
I was feeling quite zen after just an hour at Maison, but had I wanted to be sure that the feeling would last, I could have picked up $45 CBD gumdrops for the road.Advertisement
- Chinese hackers claim Apple's Secure Enclave chip has a new 'unfixable vulnerability'
- National Education Policy: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister writes to Modi opposing the shift to three languages
- Bajaj Auto's July sales drop by a third and the bigger dent came from exports
- One-time loan restructuring dilemma - RBI won’t commit, and India Inc won’t stop asking for it
- While people boycott Chinese products, IPL to retain Chinese sponsors: Omar Abdullah