Indian credit card users spend 40x more than debit card users online
- Spending someone else’s money to buy things online is so much easier now thanks to credit cards, and it has caught the fancy of Indians.
- Credit cards, despite being less than 10% of total debit cards, are 3x more valuable as far as online spends are concerned.
- Credit card users also tend to spend 2x more online as compared to offline, suggesting they are more internet savvy.
AdvertisementCredit cards are still used by a tiny minority of users in India, but their spending habits reveal just how happy people are spending money they don’t have to buy things online.
According to Business Insider India research and the latest data from RBI, credit card users spend 40 times more than
Consumers also prefer to pay for ‘large transactions’ using credit cards – this is evident from the average transaction value, which is three times higher for credit cards.
This suggests that consumers are using credit cards as a means to manage their finances – by passing on the burden of spending on credit card issuers, the 48-day interest free period allows consumers to ensure they have adequate liquid cash to meet their day-to-day needs.
On the whole, credit card spends on online purchases and ecommerce transactions stood at nearly ₹72,000 crore during May, while debit card purchases stood at a distant ₹21,000 crore.
Overall, Indians spent ₹93,000 crore on online purchases using credit and debit cards. This number does not include payments made via UPI, which is likely much higher.
Other surprises in store, too
AdvertisementApart from the huge disparity in the value of each credit card when compared to a debit card, there are other surprises in store in RBI’s data.
According to our previous report, it’s not HDFC, ICICI, SBI or Citi Bank with the most valuable credit card holders – the award goes to IndusInd Bank instead.
In fact, India’s big private banks and SBI don’t figure in the list of most valuable credit cardholders.
On an average, credit card users spend twice as much online when compared to offline, suggesting they seek the higher security offered by credit cards while buying online.
An Indian credit card user spends ₹14,500 a month on average – 20x more than debit card users
The most valuable credit cardholders are not from HDFC, SBI, Citi or other major credit card companies
Akash Ambani to head Reliance Jio - that’s just phase I of Mukesh Ambani’s succession plan
Popular on BI
- Billionaire investor Mark Mobius says he's been able to get his money out of China, but investing in the country is still a 'dilemma' amid national security laws
- The Carnival cruise passenger who went overboard and remains missing was on his first cruise and it became his 'happy place,' his fiancée said
- The new Barbie movie used so much pink paint on set that it caused an international shortage, according to its production designer
- Attractiveness of gold depends on US Fed's moves, say analysts
- Coal India’s ₹4,000 crore offer for sale subscribed 4x times
- Nvidia's Jensen Huang started with a $10 million failure before shifting gears to become a $1 trillion company
- Meet the top Nifty50 performers in FY23
- Apple to declare the 12-inch MacBook as obsolete on June 30