Top VCs name the 46 climate-tech startups to watch in 2021
- VCs are pouring money into climate-tech startups developing everything from
batteriesto machines that capture carbon emissions.
- We asked 15 top firms and incubators, from Khosla Ventures to Greentown Labs, which startups they think are set to soar in the year ahead.
- They shared 46 companies, which are developing wildly different technologies. The full list is available exclusively to Business Insider subscribers.
- Do you have feedback or a story tip? Reach out to this reporter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A decade ago,
Now the clean-tech industry is roaring once more, though many investors have given it a new label:
There's some fear that the sector could go bust again. But this time around, what industry professionals call cleantech 2.0 is "fundamentally different," according to Emily Kirsch, the CEO and founder of Powerhouse, a cleantech innovation firm and venture fund.For one, a spate of major corporations including oil companies and tech firms have committed to lowering their emissions over the next three decades, Kirsch said. Meanwhile, the cost of renewable
The incoming US administration has shown strong support for clean energy to boot."We've never been more excited about the state of climate technology than we are now," Kirsch said. VCs have no shortage of companies to choose from. In the PwC report, which focused on climate tech, the firm identified more than 1,200 startups working on a wide range of technologies, from fusion energy to plant-based proteins. What they share is a product that helps lower carbon emissions.
Some climate-tech startups are already household names, like Impossible Foods, while others are starting to gain steam and pull in major investors including Form Energy. Many more still are working on promising tech that flies under the radar of mainstream investors.With 2021 likely to be a huge year for climate tech, we asked 15 of the top VC firms and incubators which startups they think are set to soar. The firms - ranging from Khosla Ventures to Greentown Labs - offered up 46 of them.
The full list is available exclusively to Business Insider subscribers. Click here to continue reading.
- Check out the top 10 batsmen with the highest strike rate in all IPL matches
- Petrol pumps closed in Rajasthan as dealers demand rollback of VAT on fuel
- Google blocks terms associated with hate speech from being used as ad keywords on YouTube
- Mountains, rivers, trout and toddy — Manali offers you all these and more
- E-commerce and digitisation to accelerate India's auto sector growth, says report