Nancy Pelosi's husband has plowed up to $1 million into bullish bets on Tesla stock
- House Speaker
Nancy Pelosihas up to $1 million riding on Tesla's future success.
- The politician disclosed that her husband bought 25 call options on shares in Elon Musk's electric-vehicle company.
- Paul Pelosi also made bullish wagers on
Appleand Disneyand purchased AllianceBernstein stock.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's husband has placed up to $1 million worth of bullish bets on Tesla stock, the politician revealed in a financial disclosure form last week.
Paul Pelosi, who runs an investment firm, bought 25 call options on Tesla stock with a strike price of $500 and an expiration date of March 18, 2022. He spent between $500,001 and $1 million on them on December 22.
Read more: BANK OF AMERICA: Buy these 31 unheralded stocks as the recovery's hottest trades of recent months continue to gain strength in 2021
The call options give him the right to buy 2,500 Tesla shares at $500 each at any point before they expire in March 2022.
That may sound like a fantastic deal with shares in Elon Musk's electric-vehicle company changing hands at about $850 on Monday. However, Pelosi will have paid a premium for the options, so Tesla stock would have to climb before they become profitable to exercise.
Pelosi likely opted to buy long-term equity anticipation security, or LEAP, options, as they cost less up front than buying Tesla shares directly while granting exposure to a stock that skyrocketed by about 700% last year. The $500 strike price means the options are "in the money" and won't be worthless even if Tesla's stock price treads water or falls by a few hundred dollars by the time they expire.
The purchases are legal but have raised eyebrows. Nancy Pelosi now has a financial interest in Tesla's success, even as she's poised to play a key role in passing green initiatives that stand to help the automaker.
The veteran politician's spouse also spent up to $500,000 for 100 call options on Apple stock with a strike price of $100 and an expiration date of January 21, 2022. He plowed as much as $1 million into 100 call options on Disney stock with a strike price of $100 and an expiration date of March 18, 2022.
Read more: 3 investing heavyweights who oversee a combined $922 billion explain how the Democratic sweep and Capitol siege could shape the outlook for mega-cap tech stocks - and break down how to capitalize on the turn of events
Finally, Pelosi's husband paid between $500,000 and $1 million for 20,000 shares in AllianceBernstein. There's a total of $1.75 million to $3.5 million in security purchases attributed to Paul on the disclosure form.
Pelosi has represented California in the House of Representatives since 1987, and as speaker she's second in the line of succession for the presidency, after the vice president. She was the highest-ranking female elected official in US history until Vice President Kamala Harris was inaugurated on Wednesday.
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- As a mom, I know punishments don't work. Parents should be trying to find a connection instead.
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar
- Road accident death rate has dropped in Kerala after AI cameras became operational: Transport Minister