Rupee records a new low, trading at ₹75 against dollar for the first time
- It was trading at ₹75.14, or 1.24% weaker than its previous close.
- Indian stock
marketsalso plunged on Thursday as Sensexfell below the 27,000-mark and Nifty50 breached the 8,000 mark for the first time in over three years.
- The recent depreciation in the Indian currency has been on the back of persistent pressure of
AdvertisementThe Indian rupee touched a record low against the dollar on Thursday, trading at over Rs 75 per dollar against its previous close of Rs 74.26 a dollar.
Around 12.45 pm, it was trading at Rs 75.14, or 1.24 per cent weaker than its previous close.
The recent depreciation in the Indian currency has been on the back of persistent pressure of coronavirus fears on global markets along with a free fall in oil prices. The dollar also strengthened against other Asian currencies.
Stock markets also plunged on Thursday as Sensex fell below the 27,000-mark and Nifty50 breached the 8,000 mark for the first time in over three years during the initial trade.
In a bid to increase liquidity and enhance confidence in the market amid the coronavirus crisis, the
Popular on BI
- Microsoft joins hands with MSDE, CBC to train 2.5 mn civil servants in India
- Best RO water purifier for home in India
- Hyundai launched its premium SUV Tucson in India with automated sensing technology - check details here
- Drive to plant the globe's largest mangrove forest in proximity to Sundarbans in Bangladesh
- Healthy household balance sheets will push auto, consumer goods sales: Morgan Stanley