Rupee records a new low, trading at ₹75 against dollar for the first time
- It was trading at ₹75.14, or 1.24% weaker than its previous close.
- Indian stock
marketsalso plunged on Thursday as Sensexfell below the 27,000-mark and Nifty50 breached the 8,000 mark for the first time in over three years.
- The recent depreciation in the Indian currency has been on the back of persistent pressure of
Around 12.45 pm, it was trading at Rs 75.14, or 1.24 per cent weaker than its previous close.
The recent depreciation in the Indian currency has been on the back of persistent pressure of coronavirus fears on global markets along with a free fall in oil prices. The dollar also strengthened against other Asian currencies.
Stock markets also plunged on Thursday as Sensex fell below the 27,000-mark and Nifty50 breached the 8,000 mark for the first time in over three years during the initial trade.
In a bid to increase liquidity and enhance confidence in the market amid the coronavirus crisis, the
Popular on BI
- EXPLAINED: India’s annual Economic Survey
- With COVID expenses rising, taxpayers need more than an insurance rebate, says a wealth manager
- Budget 2022 expectation: Why India needs an urban MGNREGA
- Here’s why there is less adoption of the new tax regime and how budget 2022 can make it more attractive
- A market guru explains why real estate, housing and textiles should get some budget boost