THE RISE OF BANKING-AS-A-SERVICE: The most innovative banks are taking advantage of disruption by inventing a new revenue stream - here's how incumbents can follow suit
- This is a preview of The Rise of Banking-as-a-Service research report from Business Insider Intelligence.
- Purchase this report.
- Business Insider Intelligence offers even more insights like this with our brand new Banking coverage. Subscribe today to receive industry-changing banking news and analysis to your inbox.
Fintechs are encroaching on incumbents' share in the banking game, forcing them to explore new business models - but tech-savvy legacy banks can treat this as an opportunity rather than a threat by moving into the Banking-as-a-Service (BaaS) space.
BaaS platforms enable fintechs and other third parties to connect with banks' systems via APIs to build banking offerings on top of the providers' regulated infrastructure. This means banks that launch BaaS platforms can actually benefit from fintechs entering the finance space, as it turns fintechs into customers rather than just competitors.
The companies mentioned in this report are: BBVA, Clearbank, 11:FS Foundry, Starling.
Here are some key takeaways from the report:
- Offering BaaS also allows banks to unlock the opportunity presented by open banking, which is becoming a vital part of the financial services industry.
- There are two key types of players - BaaS-focused fintechs and BaaS providers with a retail banking arm - that banks will need to learn from and compete against in the BaaS space.
- Banks that have embraced digital will have an easier time ensuring that their infrastructure and systems are suitable for third parties.
- It's vital for incumbents to accurately assess third-party needs to create an in-demand portfolio of white-label BaaS products.
- Outlines what BaaS is and how it relates to open banking.
- Highlights the benefits of launching a BaaS platform, including two different monetization strategies.
- Explains what BaaS players are currently doing in the space, and outlines the services they offer.
- Discusses what incumbent players can do in order to launch their own successful BaaS platform.
Interested in getting the full report? Here are four ways to access it:
- Purchase & download the full report from our research store. >> Purchase & Download Now
- Subscribe to a Premium pass to Business Insider Intelligence and gain immediate access to this report and more than 250 other expertly researched reports. As an added bonus, you'll also gain access to all future reports and daily newsletters to ensure you stay ahead of the curve and benefit personally and professionally. >> Learn More Now
- Join thousands of top companies worldwide who trust Business Insider Intelligence for their competitive research needs. >> Inquire About Our Corporate Memberships
- Current subscribers can read the report here.