These are the stocks to own in the second half of 2021 as markets navigate higher interest rates, according to Goldman Sachs
- The second half of 2021 won't be as strong as the first half, Goldman Sachs said in a Friday note.
- The S&P 500 will end the year flat as markets navigate higher interest rates, the note said.
- These are the top stocks to own in the second half of 2021, according to Goldman Sachs.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
Investors should not expect another strong six months for stocks after the S&P 500 finished the first half of the year up about 15%, Goldman Sachs said in a note on Friday.
That expected surge in interest rates will likely weigh on high growth stocks and benefit cyclical stocks, the bank said. To benefit from the market setup going into year-end, Goldman recommends investors buy stocks that have short duration, high growth investment ratios, and pricing power, according to the note.
While long duration growth stocks have outperformed their short duration value stock counterparts in recent weeks, Goldman expects this trade to reverse, especially if its forecast for higher interest rates materializes.
"Companies that have consistently invested for growth have outperformed the S&P 500 year-to-date and are best positioned to continue growing despite the expected slowdown in economic activity," Goldman said.
"We recommend investors focus on stocks with high pricing power as demonstrated by their high and stable gross margins. High pricing power stocks outperformed in 2018 - 2019 as wage growth accelerated and profit margins declined," Goldman explained.
Goldman outlined its expectations that while the S&P 500 will end the year at 4,300, it will jump 7% to 4,600 by the end of 2022 as the unemployment rate falls to 3.5%.
- Sansera Engineering IPO — How to check allotment status, listing date and more
- The collapse of Evergrande, one of China’s largest home developers, is “not a Lehman moment” but the fear may haunt steel and metal stocks in India
- Amazon is investigating its lawyers for allegedly bribing Indian government officials
- Noise ropes in Taapsee Pannu as its brand ambassador for smart wearables
- Online fantasy gaming startup earns almost five times Dhoni's Chennai Super Kings
- Samsung's first F-series phone with 5G support, Galaxy F42, to launch soon
- 2021 Yamaha R15 V4.0, R15M, Aerox 155 launched in India — all you need to know
- Tara Sutaria to be the face of Olay India's premium skincare range