FM urges I-T officials to expedite returns, refund process and grievance redressal
Addressing the Finance Minister's award ceremony for I-T officials, Sitharaman said they should ensure that returns are dealt with quickly and systematically.
Secondly, income refunds should be disposed of speedily, which will earn greater goodwill for the department, she said.
Thirdly, the Finance Minister said that redressal of grievance should be addressed expeditiously.
"Today there are cases (in the income tax department) which have been lying pending since forever. You are the final authority. Why don't you redress these on time? Provide relief and deliver fast, don't keep anything on your table," the Finance Minister told the I-T officials.
She said there should be dedicated days and hours for grievance redressal and clearing old files, so that people feel that the department is taking out time for addressing their concerns.
Lauding the work done by the income tax department, especially during the nationwide lockdowns at the peak of the Covid pandemic, Sitharaman said they deserved a word of appreciation.
During 2020-21, there were apprehensions that indirect tax collections were outnumbering direct tax collections, but now there is more equity as direct tax collections are at par with indirect tax collections.
There is a principle of equity in tax collections now, Sitharaman said, as direct tax collections have sustained the momentum along with indirect tax collections.
She also emphasized how the faceless technology for tax collections has enhanced collection of taxes, despite initial apprehensions and suggested that greater exposure to technology is needed to maintain this tempo.
Popular on BI
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- Germany relaxes Schengen visa rules for Indians
- Kanye West says he's selling Balenciaga, Adidas, and Gap hoodies for $20 after the companies all cut ties with him
- WhatsApp rolls out contact cards sharing on Windows beta
- FIFA WC: Lionel Messi doing well, says Argentina manager Scaloni amid injury concerns
- ADB, Wabag sign USD 25 mn debt facility for sanitation, water security in India
- RBI pauses onboarding of online merchants by Paytm Payments Services; firm says no material impact on biz
- Over 50% of microbusinesses had no mechanisms to cushion Covid impact, Road to Recovery report says
- Tata Aviation
- Visa Platinum Prepaid Card
- Interest Rate on Deposits
- Uniparts IPO
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Asus new Desktop
- Sandhya Devanathans
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Small Cap Companies
- India Pharma
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World