For the first time in 14 years, the best university in the world isn't in America
Chris Trotman/Getty Images
- Times Higher Education ranks world universities annually.
- This year, Harvard was dethroned from the top spot.
- Oxford University and Cambridge University came in first and second.
For the first time in 14 years, an American college didn't crack the top two in a ranking of the best universities in the world, according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018 list.
United Kingdom-based Oxford and Cambridge Universities came in No.1 and No. 2, respectively.Times Higher Ed reviews the top 1,000 universities in the world looking at factors of teaching, research, and influence to rank them.
It reviews quantitative factors, like the number of times a university's published work is cited by scholars globally, and qualitative factors, like peer surveys, to assemble the ranking.
Read below to see the top 10 universities in the world:
10. University of Pennsylvania (tie)
10. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (tie)
9. University of Chicago
8. Imperial College London
7. Princeton University
6. Harvard University
5. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
3. Stanford University (tie)
3. California Institute of Technology (tie)
2. University of Cambridge
1. University of Oxford