Fortune 500 companies like Google and Disney have paid more than $10,000 for horse whispering demonstrations for their employees. I visited a Wyoming ranch to find out what it's all about.
- Diamond Cross Ranch is a 100-acre dude ranch in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, owned by Grant and Jane Golliher.
- The ranch has worked with Fortune 500 companies like Google, Disney, and Toyota for corporate events that cost upwards of $10,000 and feature horse whispering demonstrations by Grant Golliher.
- I recently visited the ranch and got a private horse whispering demonstration from Grant, and despite my initial skepticism and confusion about what horse whispering actually was, by the end of it, I did understand why it's useful to business leaders.
- Horse whispering is a lesson in subtle communication, empathy, facing fears, and maintaining consistent boundaries, all of which can be applied to business and leadership.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Jackson Hole Valley in Wyoming is full of ranches. But not all ranches bring in Fortune 500 companies who pay upwards of $10,000 to watch a cowboy tame a wild horse.
For more than 20 years, Jane and Grant Golliher of Diamond Cross Ranch in Moran, Wyoming, have been working with Fortune 500 companies like Google, Toyota, and Pfizer for corporate events that include evenings of ranch hospitality, dining - and horse whispering. These events, some of which take place at Diamond Cross Ranch and some elsewhere, start at $10,000 and are tailored for each group based on priorities, objectives, size, time, and other factors, the Gollihers told me.Just last year, they threw an album listening party for Kanye West and hosted Alibaba cofounder Jack Ma and his family. At first, the horse whispering demonstrations were purely for entertainment. But to the Gollihers' surprise, attendees seemed to get much more out of the demonstrations than expected.
The clients started "telling us the message that they got," Jane told Business Insider. "Grant would do the demonstrations and often people would begin crying ..."
People started telling the Gollihers that lessons they'd learned from horse whispering are lessons that apply to business, leadership, and teamwork.
"I always said, it fits life. It's not just about training a horse," said Grant, who has been training horses professionally for 40 years.
On a recent trip to Jackson Hole, I visited Diamond Cross Ranch and got a private horse whispering demonstration from Grant. Here's what it was like.
Get the latest Google stock price here.