Former defence ministry bureaucrat recalls his moments in the 1980’s India, Indira Gandhi’s PM regime, and her two sons
It was in the early 1980s, under
Mr Pandey was the then special assistant to the Minister of State for defence Shivraj Patil, and he must have breathed a sigh of relief after Rajiv Gandhi finished his briefing, because of which he and the Gandhis were able to attend the dinner with naval officers.
Mr Pandey had served in Assam and Meghalaya as a young IAS officer when he started his career, and then proceeded to handle crucial responsibilities at the Centre and in Bihar. He has now come out with a book, called
The book has been published by Palimpsest, and contains several of such incidents that Mr Pandey recalls, the one mentioned being from a trip to Bombay that he took with PM Indira Gandhi when India had launched a new ship on the Navy Day, along with Rajiv Gandhi.
The book emphasises on the importance of India’s steel frame, as the name suggests.
He also mentions the temperamental, biased and whimsical
Popular on BI
- Online furniture brand Pepperfry registers Rs 188 cr losses in FY23
- Most searched movies in 2023 – Animal is not in the Top 10 and Adipurush beats Pathaan
- EPFO invested Rs 27,105 crore in exchange trade funds in Apr-Oct: Labour Min
- Cocktails to prasads: What Indians wanted to cook and brew in 2023
- Kiara Advani to David Beckham, the most searched people in India in 2023