From San Diego to Austin and Seattle, these are the 15 best US cities to launch a startup
- Small businesses make up a staggering 99.9% of all businesses in the US, according to a 2018 report.
- To find the best cities for startups, software company Volusion took into account the percentage of workers employed by startups, startup density, and cost of living, among other factors.
- 1.9% of startups in the top city, Seattle, receive venture capital funding, making it a haven for fledgling businesses.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Almost every business in the US is a startup.According to a 2018 profile by the US Small Business Administration, 99.9% of businesses in the country are startups (businesses with 500 or fewer employees).Advertisement
To find out which cities were the best places to run a startup, software company Volusion analyzed the 2017 US Census Bureau Annual Survey of Entrepreneurs (ASE). They took into account factors like the percentage of workers employed by startups, startup density, and cost of living, among others.
The top city, which encompasses the Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue area in Washington, is home to corporate giants Amazon, Starbucks, and Microsoft. Despite those big brands, Seattle is a haven for startups. Around 1.9% of Seattle startups receive venture capital funding - far more than businesses in any other city - which makes their chances of surviving and growing that much better.Here are the 15 best cities for startups.
15. Minneapolis – St. Paul – Bloomington (Minnesota and Wisconsin)
14. Charlotte – Concord – Gastonia area (North Carolina and South Carolina)Advertisement
13. Atlanta – Sandy Springs – Roswell area (Georgia)
12. Phoenix – Mesa – Scottsdale area (Arizona)Advertisement
11. San Diego – Carlsbad area (California)
10. Kansas City (Missouri and Kansas)Advertisement
9. Boston – Cambridge – Newton area (Massachusetts and New Hampshire)
8. Miami – Fort Lauderdale – West Palm Beach area (Florida)Advertisement
7. Portland – Vancouver – Hillsboro area (Oregon and Washington)
6. Raleigh (North Carolina)Advertisement
5. Denver – Aurora – Lakewood area (Colorado)
4. Nashville – Davidson – Murfreesboro – Franklin area (Tennessee)Advertisement
3. San Jose – Sunnyvale – Santa Clara area (California)
2. Austin – Round Rock (Texas)Advertisement
1. Seattle – Tacoma – Bellevue area (Washington)
- This new room-temperature liquid-metal battery may last longer than lithium-ion batteries, says a new research
- At least 8 Mississippi lawmakers test positive for COVID-19
- Elyments dips to 3.5 stars on Google Play Store — Here's what analysts believe India's new social network needs in order to be successful
- Police arrests LG Polymers CEO and 11 others in styrene vapour leak incident at Visakhapatnam
- Covid-19: Airborne transmission can't be ruled out, says WHO