From San Diego to Austin and Seattle, these are the 15 best US cities to launch a startup
- Small businesses make up a staggering 99.9% of all businesses in the US, according to a 2018 report.
- To find the best cities for startups, software company Volusion took into account the percentage of workers employed by startups, startup density, and cost of living, among other factors.
- 1.9% of startups in the top city, Seattle, receive venture capital funding, making it a haven for fledgling businesses.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Almost every business in the US is a startup.
According to a 2018 profile by the US Small Business Administration, 99.9% of businesses in the country are startups (businesses with 500 or fewer employees).
To find out which cities were the best places to run a startup, software company Volusion analyzed the 2017 US Census Bureau Annual Survey of Entrepreneurs (ASE). They took into account factors like the percentage of workers employed by startups, startup density, and cost of living, among others.
The top city, which encompasses the Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue area in Washington, is home to corporate giants Amazon, Starbucks, and Microsoft. Despite those big brands, Seattle is a haven for startups. Around 1.9% of Seattle startups receive venture capital funding - far more than businesses in any other city - which makes their chances of surviving and growing that much better.
Here are the 15 best cities for startups.
15. Minneapolis – St. Paul – Bloomington (Minnesota and Wisconsin)
14. Charlotte – Concord – Gastonia area (North Carolina and South Carolina)
13. Atlanta – Sandy Springs – Roswell area (Georgia)
12. Phoenix – Mesa – Scottsdale area (Arizona)
11. San Diego – Carlsbad area (California)
10. Kansas City (Missouri and Kansas)
9. Boston – Cambridge – Newton area (Massachusetts and New Hampshire)
8. Miami – Fort Lauderdale – West Palm Beach area (Florida)
7. Portland – Vancouver – Hillsboro area (Oregon and Washington)
6. Raleigh (North Carolina)
5. Denver – Aurora – Lakewood area (Colorado)
4. Nashville – Davidson – Murfreesboro – Franklin area (Tennessee)
3. San Jose – Sunnyvale – Santa Clara area (California)
2. Austin – Round Rock (Texas)
1. Seattle – Tacoma – Bellevue area (Washington)
- A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.
- WazirX receives 1023 requests for data from law enforcement in October-March 2022
- Elon Musk was dating Amber Heard and finalizing a divorce around the time he's said to have sexually harassed a SpaceX flight attendant
- Researchers develop a virus that works even when iPhone is switched off
- Supreme Court of India extends time for submitting Pegasus probe report
- Chopper services launched in Goa for tourists, locals
- Both Ambuja Cements and ACC are bet worth investing with strong parent Adani
- Reserve Bank to pay ₹30,307 crore dividend payment to Centre for FY22