Gas stations are thriving, but plenty of other businesses across the country have hit a slump, according to Yelp data
- Businesses across the United States might be stuck in the middle of a slump.
- That's according to data that Yelp compiled based on store openings and closings and the preferences of its millions of users.
- The Yelp Economic Average found that gas stations proved to be the one major exception to the trend.
The state of business in the US isn't just about the stock market or GDP.That's the impetus behind Yelp's latest creation, the Yelp Economic Average. The YEA digs deeper into how different types of companies are doing throughout the country. To compile its findings, Yelp drew on data from its 34 million monthly app users and its 75 million monthly mobile web users.Advertisement
Read more: 11 brands that shoppers are obsessed with, from body wash to paper towels
The Yelp Economic Average also takes into account seasonal fluctuations, business openings and closings, and consumer demand on Yelp. Consumer demand takes into account Yelp user engagement with different businesses, like page views, searches, ratings and reviews, and check-ins.As a benchmark, the last quarter of 2016 was assigned a score of 100. Overall, the third quarter of 2018 received a score of 100.7 from Yelp, while the fourth quarter saw a drop down to 98.5.
The numbers show that, aside from gas stations, many kinds of businesses may have fallen into a bit of a slump in 2018.Here's a look at how different kinds of businesses did throughout the country:
Appliance repair shopsAdvertisement
Breakfast and brunch places
Divorce and family law firms
Ice cream and frozen yogurtAdvertisement
Junk removal and hauling
Office cleaning businessesAdvertisement
Personal injury law firms
Real estate firmsAdvertisement
Real estate law firms
Sporting goods stores
Tree service companiesAdvertisement
- Pranab Mukherjee's condition remains unchanged, says Army Hospital after false death news surface on the internet
- SBI, ICICI Bank, Axis, Kotak and others have plans to raise $14 billion — but if things go haywire, they could need three-times more
- Top stock movers on Dalal Street today — TCS, HCL, Wipro, Ashok Leyland, IndiGo and more
- DTE Rajasthan Polytechnic Diploma Admission 2020 begins. Here’s how to apply
- Best alarm clocks