Global interest rates have only been this low 3 times since 1522
Global bonds have been selling off.As demand for them has waned and their prices fallen, yields have shot up.
Even with the recent spike in Treasury yields, Rosenberg points out through this chart just how close they are to turning negative.Some analysts have argued that's not going to happen, especially with a Fed rate hike in view.
Still, we're right on the edge:
"All it takes is a 50 basis point backup in the 10-year yield and it generates a -2% total return; go back 10 years, and there was still enough of a cushion that the total return in a year's time even with a yield spasm like that would have kept investors in the black. Two decades ago, the coupon was enough to still keep the total return at over +3% with a 50 basis point increase in the yield while a similar move 30 years ago would still result in roughly an 8% total return."
- Cannes Lions 2021: India brings home a Gold, four Silver Lions and three Bronze Lions on Day 2
- E-commerce management platform CommerceIQ raises $60 million, looks to launch India operations by 2022
- Best power banks under ₹ 1000 to buy in India for 2021
- Best business laptops in India for 2021
- India is reportedly mulling over a new crypto tax which could make trading on foreign exchanges more expensive