Google is selling its robot company to Toyota
A source says the "ink is nearly dry" on the deal, but didn't disclose the price.
The robotics division has been a source of tension within the company since Andy Rubin, the exec who led it, left in 2014.
Rubin, who also founded Android and led Google's smartphone business for many years, drove the purchase of Boston Dynamics and brought in a bunch of other robotics companies as well. But after Rubin left, the company lost its direction.
Bloomberg previously reported that Google was working on the sale and had floated both Toyota and Amazon as possible buyers. Other members of the robotics division were folded into Alphabet's experimental hardware lab, X.
Boston Dynamics was known for releasing some crazy videos of humanoid and animal-like robots.
- 10 cafes in Bangalore offering the best of ambiance and cuisine
- Centre's fiscal deficit at Aug-end touches 36% of full-year target: CGA
- Domestic occupiers keep office space demand high in 2023
- Nifty, Sensex bounce back on Friday but experts see resistance at higher levels
- Temperature's Toll: Hospitals see a surge in drug and alcohol abuse-related visits on hotter nights, study reveals