GrubHub tumbles after Uber says it has a massive opportunity in food delivery
- GrubHub plunged more than 6% on Friday after Uber's S1 filing said it has an outsized opportunity in the food-delivery space.
- Uber believes its Uber Eats app has so far only captured 1% of a nearly $800 billion market.
- Watch GrubHub trade live.
GrubHub dropped more than 6% Friday after Uber's S1 filing indicated the ride-sharing company was continuing its aggressive expansion into the food-delivery business through its subsidiary UberEats. GrubHub's stock has plunged more than 50% from its highs reached in October 2018 as disclosure around UberEats' business has increased.According to the Uber's S1 documents filed in preparation for an IPO, UberEats' 2018 revenues reached $1.5 billion, growing 149% year-over-year. Uber regards the total market potential, or the amount that consumers spend on all home delivery, takeaway, and drive-through service globally, to be a staggering $795 billion.
"We believe much of this information was already well understood by investors as Uber has been more transparent about the Eats business the last couple quarters," wrote Thill. The stock is down ~54% from its highs & we believe much of that performance has been a direct cause of increased competition and disclosure from Uber & other larger players."Uber's initial public offering, which could value the firm at up to $100 billion, is expected to come as early as next week.
GrubHub was down more than 15% this year, including Friday's loss.
- Initial assessment of adverse events didn't necessitate stoppage of vaccine trials: ICMR
- Phase 2 and 3 clinical trials for Sputnik vaccine commence
- 'Delhi chalo': After Singhu and Tikri, Delhi Police closes Chilla border due to farmers' protest
- Manforce Condoms promotes its competitors in its latest ad for World AIDS Day
- Sensex, Nifty close at record high on recovery hopes, vaccine boost