#HappyBirthdayMJ – Top 5 iconic steps Michael Jackson floored us with
AdvertisementMichael Jackson is undoubtedly one of the greatest entertainers in history. His fluid dance steps, signature vocals and blockbuster hits have won many a soul over.
Amidst several rumours and controversies including his mysterious death in 2009, his talent and artistry stands tall. Michael was born on 29th August, 1958.
As a tribute to his memory, Business Insider India relives the top 10 steps the King of Pop dazzled us with.
This step has become synonymous to Michael’s name. Nobody can slide backwards and make it look as effortless as he did. They just don’t make ‘em like that anymore. He performed the step for the first time in his performance on ‘Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever’ where he danced to Billie jean, and did the Moonwalk. The rest is history.
Another signature MJ step. Not many know this was the '80s version of Elvis'. It first floated with MJ’s album ‘Bad’. The step was often followed by a high pitched ‘Ow!’
If you wonder how MJ defied gravity, the answer lies in his specially tailored shoes, special effects and wires. First seen in the ‘Smooth Criminal’ video, Michael took it off the dance studio with clamps that would hold his shoes and allow him to lean so far. He even holds the patent to this stage trick. However, MJ fans hardly care. He was butter smooth, and that’s what matters.
Nobody can side-to-side to side like the King of Pop. Widely accepted as one of his best dance moves, search YouTube and you’ll find innumerable fans trying to pull this off. Spot one smoother than MJ. We tried. There’s no beating him at his craft.
The Toe Stand
Often done after the Moonwalk, MJ could stand on his toes for over five seconds. The step actually complemented his cropped pants and sparkled socks, and that was no accident.
Image credit: Folomojo
Popular on BI
- Gold and silver jewellery to get a lot more expensive
- Indian tycoon Gautam Adani has abandoned a $2.5 billion fundraising effort in his latest setback following a short seller attack on his business empire
- It's been a very bad month for Indian billionaires — four of the richest Indians have collectively lost about $45 billion in 2023
- Adani Enterprises no longer in list Top 10 companies by value; ITC joins the club
- Adani Group stocks rout continues, ₹93,788 crore market cap wiped out on Friday
- Hyundai 2023 Creta and Alcazar launched – price, specs, and features
- Tech layoffs to continue for sometime thanks to a slowdown in demand and an uncertain economic environment
- Microsoft introduces AI features for Teams Premium — What are they and how are they useful?