Here's how perfectly rectangular icebergs are formed
- A perfectly rectangular iceberg was spotted by NASA scientist Jeremy Harbeck in October off of the Larsen C ice shelf in Antarctica.
- This tabular iceberg is naturally occurring - the flat top and sharp corners indicate that the iceberg was recently formed.
- In the video above, marine glaciologist Dr. Jan Lieser explains why this iceberg won't stay the same for long.
Following is a transcript of the video.Narrator: Does this image look Photoshopped, fake, or even created by aliens? You wouldn't be alone in thinking that. But, you would be wrong. This is actually a naturally occurring phenomenon. What you're seeing is a tabular iceberg. Tabular icebergs form a plateau, with a flat top. Unlike non-tabular icebergs, which usually have a rounded top. This iceberg was photographed in October, by NASA scientist Jeremy Harbeck. Most icebergs look similar to this at first, although this one is exceptionally rectangular. So how are these perfect icebergs formed? All icebergs form when a piece or sheet of ice breaks away from a large ice shelf or glacier. And because of ice's innate crystal structure, it tends to break along straight lines.
View all Offers
OnePlus Nord 2 5G (Blue Haze, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage) I Extra upto Rs.1000 off on Exchange₹ 29999Buy On
OnePlus Nord 2 5G (Gray Sierra, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage) I Extra upto Rs.1000 off on Exchange₹ 29999Buy On
- 18% OFF
Redmi 9A (Nature Green, 2GB RAM, 32GB Storage) | 2GHz Octa-core Helio G25 Processor | 5000 mAh Battery₹ 6999₹ 8499Buy On
- 19% OFF
Redmi Note 10 (Aqua Green, 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) -Amoled Dot Display | 48MP Sony Sensor IMX582 | Snapdragon 678 Processor₹ 12999₹ 15999Buy On
- 18% OFF
Redmi 9 (Carbon Black, 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) | 2.3GHz Mediatek Helio G35 Octa core Processor₹ 8999₹ 10999Buy On
Dr. Jan Lieser: These regular shapes, that won't stick around for long. If we look for this iceberg today, which is only a couple weeks after it was originally spotted, it won't look like that anymore at all.Narrator: As this tabular iceberg floats away and changes shape, it won't resemble the iconic iceberg in the photo. But it will live on, thanks to social media.
- Punjab to bring Bill to earmark welfare budget for SCs in proportionate to their population
- High Pressure car washer price in India
- Best boAt headphones to buy in India
- Nothing ear (1) review – clean sound, transparent design for the win
- Oppo Reno 6 Pro 5G to A74 5G: Oppo smartphones launched in India in 2021