Here's The Job Parents Most Want Their Kids To Have
To compile that ranking, respondents were shown a list of occupations and asked how much prestige each job had.
But as it turns out, none of those jobs are the one parents most want their kids to pursue.
In addition to the question about prestige, Harris also asked all 2,537 adults the following question: Looking at this list of jobs, which ones would suggest a child think about as a future profession, and which one would you discourage a child from exploring?
A whopping 93% of adults said they'd encourage their kid to pursue a career in engineering.
On the list of "most prestigious jobs," engineer ranked sixth.
"This was a bit of a surprise," says Larry Shannon-Missal, managing editor of The Harris Poll. "We've been looking at the prestige of these professions for years, and this field has traditionally been respectable but not near the top. The fact that engineering tops the list when it comes to what careers adults would recommend that a child pursue speaks to the gap which can sometimes exist between prestige and practicality."
However, it's no secret that STEM (science, tech, engineering and math) jobs are where the money and opportunities are these days, Shannon-Missal says. "So while surprising, it does make sense."
Here's the full list:
Click here for the full report.
- Mayhem Studios announces a new battle royale game with locations, gangs and other elements depicting India
- Technique used to track ants’ movement might soon help scientists in measuring snow depth from space
- Three senior Twitter employees quit amid ongoing Musk-Agrawal internet war
- Indian CEOs could get the best salary hike in 5 years; and they already make ₹7 crore/yr on an average
- Vedantu follows Unacademy’s footsteps — fires over 600 people in May
- Delhivery IPO
- Reliance Retail
- Indian Rupee
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Disney+hotstar Subscribers
- Reliance Industries
- Venus Pipes Tubes IPO
- Matheesha Pathirana
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction