Here's the town in every state with the most millennials
- Using data from the US Census Bureau, we found the town in every state with the highest percentage of young adults aged 20-34.
- Many college towns appear on that list.
Young adults tend to be concentrated in certain places.
The American Community Survey is an annual survey run by the Census Bureau to allow the government, corporate and academic researchers, and anyone who is curious about demographics to better understand the US population. Among many other subjects, the ACS includes information about respondents' ages.Read more: All 50 states and Washington, DC, ranked from least to most average
Using the ACS estimates from 2013 to 2017 for places with at least a 1,000-person population, Business Insider made a map showing the town in each state with the largest share of the population aged 20 to 34, our approximation for the millennial generation.
Places, as defined by the Census Bureau, include several college campuses and military bases, and such areas have disproportionately large populations of young adults. Given that we are interested in places that are more properly viewed as towns, cities, or villages, we decided to exclude college campuses and military bases from our analysis.
Even after excluding college campuses themselves, many college towns, like West Lafayette, Indiana, home of Purdue University, and East Lansing, Michigan, where Michigan State University is located, appear on the map.
- Read more about demographics and economics in the US:
- The minimum wage is set to increase in 21 states and DC in 2019 - here's what it will be in every state
- The most and least expensive places to live in America
- The most disproportionately high-paying job in every state
- Here's how many people in each state were born outside the US