Here's what the thread count actually means - and why it doesn't matter
It's easy to think that a high thread count means better sheets. That's not really the case, here's why. Following is the transcript of the video:
Thread count doesn't matter as much as you think. It refers to the number of threads in one square inch of fabric. You might think a higher thread count means higher-quality sheets, but manufacturers have tricky ways of manipulating that number.
They can use low-grade cotton that's thin when spun. That way, they can cram more threads into a smaller space. Or, they can create a "multi-ply" thread by twisting two threads together before weaving. Since they've fit two threads in the place of one they can claim double the thread count. They can even twist four threads into a single "multi-ply" thread. This quadruples the thread count but doesn't make the sheets any softer or stronger.
So how do you know you're buying quality bedding? Experts say to look for organic cotton. It's durable, soft, and breathable. Another good sign is the sheets will improve with each wash. Lower-quality sheets may come with polishes or waxes to make the feel of sheets at the store more pleasant. But those will wash off the first time you clean your sheets.
Also, if you see threads hanging off or nonuniform stitches that's a sign the sheets are cheaply made. Spend a little more, and sweet dreams will follow.
- An overlooked group of borrowers will be hit hard as student loan repayments resume, former Fed economist says
- TikTok's strategy for US dominance is straight out of Amazon's playbook — but creators are the fuel for its flywheel
- Robin Williams' daughter says she finds AI recreations of her father's voice 'personally disturbing'
- Survey shows people find no improvement in public toilets across country
- Sebi extends deadline for listed cos to confirm or deny market rumours
- Tom Hanks, a dental plan promotion and an AI
- New 'inverse vaccine' shows potential to treat multiple sclerosis, diabetes: Study
- TDP leaders stage hunger strike In Delhi against arrest of Chandrababu Naidu