Here's what the US Air Force has planned for all its bombers
- The US's three bombers - the B-1B Lancer, the B-2 Spirit, and the B-52 Stratofortress - will be joined or replaced by the B-21 Raider stealth bomber.
- The B-52 is expected to fly through the 2050s, and the B-2 accomplished a number of firsts this summer. The B-1B, meanwhile, had particularly low mission readiness this year.
- Visit Business Insider's home page for more stories.
The US has three bombers - the B-1B Lancer, the stealth B-2 Spirit, and the B-52 Stratofortress - to deliver thousands of tons of firepower in combat.Some form of the B-52 has been in use since 1955. The B-1B took its first flight in 1974, and the B-2 celebrated its 30th year in the skies in 2019. A new stealth bomber, the B-21, is in production and is expected to fly in December 2021, although details about it are scarce.
Here are all the bombers in the US Air Force's fleet.
The Air Force's B-1B Lancer has had problems with mission readiness this year.
The B-1B was considered nuclear-capable bomber until 2007, when its ability to carry nuclear arms was disabled in accordance with the START treaty.Advertisement
The B-52 bomber has been in service since 1955.
As of June 2019, there were 58 B-52s in use with the Air Force and 18 more with the Reserve.Advertisement
The B-2 Spirit stealth bomber is the only stealth bomber in operation anywhere.
The Spirit can fly at an altitude of up to 50,000 feet and has an intercontinental range.Advertisement
Little is known about the B-21 Raider, the Air Force's future bomber.
Air Force Magazine reported in July that the B-21 could fly as soon as December 2021.Advertisement
- Popular devotional singer Narendra Chanchal passes away at 80
- Indian School of Business ranked 1st in India, 44th globally as per MBA Ranking 2021 by The Economist
- 25 kg gold jewellery and ₹96,000 cash stolen at gunpoint from Muthoot Finance branch in Tamil Nadu
- Rajasthan: Budget session from February 10
- IPL players auction to be held on February 18, says BCCI official