Here's where Americans are buying their groceries
Business Insider/Hayley Peterson
Walmart and its warehouse chain, Sam's Club, are the most dominant supermarkets in the country, accounting for more than a fifth of the grocery market share, according to data compiled by UBS.
The rest of the market is highly fragmented and split between dozens of other players, including Kroger (10%), Albertsons (5.2%) and Costco (4.2%).
Shares of grocery companies were rattled last week after it emerged that Amazon plans to acquire Whole Foods in a $13.7 billion deal. So it may come as a shock to some that Whole Foods controls just 1.4% of the market, making it the 13th largest grocery chain in America. Amazon, meanwhile, claims just 0.2% of the grocery market.
The discount store Aldi recently claimed that it will be the third largest grocery chain in the US within the next four years, thanks to an aggressive expansion plan. But for now, it claims just 1.1% of the market.
Here's the top grocery chains in America, according to UBS:
- India’s techies are leaving IT firms in hordes — Here’s why
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- A renowned female crime novelist who won a million-euro prize in Spain turned out to be three middle-aged men
- India’s central bank imposes ₹1 crore penalty on the country’s biggest lender
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Amazon's campaign encourages customers to thank its associates and share their happiness with frontline teams
- Brazilians bought more than $4 billion in cryptocurrencies this year as the country looks to regulate Bitcoin
- If you are a pensioner, you can submit Jeevan Pramaan sitting at home — Here is what you need to do
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Google Pixel 6 series
- CBSE examdate sheet
- Tata Punch Price
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- vodafone Idea News
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons