Here's why telephoto is the most exciting new feature on the iPhone 7 Plus
There are a number of reasons to get excited about this new iPhone camera: Specs in line with the top-of-its-class Samsung Galaxy camera, the ability to generate attractive bokeh for image backgrounds, and even the ability for tech-savvy photographers to shoot raw DNG images. (I explore all that in this article.) But nothing on that list is so innovative that we have never seen it on an Android.
The one truly new, innovative feature on the iPhone 7 Plus? Its zoomed-in telephoto lens.
I'm thrilled about this unexpected development.
As I've written before, the biggest problem with smartphone cameras right now is that they're all boring, wide-angle shooters. If you have only one lens to carry with you everywhere, a wide angle is the way to go. It's good for group shots, landscapes, and close-up action.
But wide-angle lenses have some major limitations. They have odd, cartoonish perspectives that tend to exaggerate people's features. The result? Unflattering smartphone portraits.
So far, the few dual-lens smartphone cameras to hit the market have missed the opportunity to include a longer, portrait-friendly lens. Apple's telephoto is the first we've seen. Apple has said it's twice as zoomed in as the existing lens - I'm guessing that means about the equivalent focal length of a 50 mm lens from a DSLR, which is a perfectly respectable portrait length.
The obvious benefit of a telephoto lens is taking better photos of farther-away things. But expect people to realize it makes their faces much more appealing on Instagram (or Snapchat or wherever you post) as well.
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders