Hike raises $175mn from Foxconn and Tencent
The funding round also saw participation from Hike’s existing investors, viz.
Also read: In pictures: I spent two hours at Hike's new office and I wish I could go back again!
“Hike deeply understands India; a highly diverse market with many nuances. It is on a mission synergistic to ours, which is to enhance the quality of human life through internet services. With our investments,
Hike currently engages 100 million users that send 40 billion messages per month, with 95% of users based in India and 90% of them being below the age of 30. The average time that a Hike user spends on its platform every week comes out to 120 minutes.
Also read: Exclusive: Here are the 4 qualities Hike’s Kavin Mittal looks for while hiring
Following are the three key pillars on which the messenger has been built:
1. Local expressive content: Hike is popular for giving over 10000 stickers to its users in over 40 languages, themes and UIs. This relevant local content, including news in Hindi and English, games, Live Cricket, Coupons etc. is what attracts young users to Hike.
2. Emphasis on privacy: Hike boasts of an innovative feature, called Hidden mode, which can quickly hide chats. Other than that, it also allows users to control who can see their pictures, statuses and ‘last seen’ timings.
3. Data constraints: In case there is no internet connectivity, Hike users can use Hike2SMS for sending SMSs, and Hike Direct for sharing files.
Also speaking on the occasion was Masayoshi Son, founder, chairman and CEO of the SoftBank group, who said, “Hike is one of SoftBank’s best performing portfolio companies in India and we are happy to have stayed invested in it from the beginning. The team has reached an outstanding scale in a short span of 3.5 years. As an investor, we share their vision and we are happy that they are moving ahead in their journey so quickly in a competitive environment.”
Also read: As Nikesh Arora quits, SoftBank will continue its focus on Indian startups
“I’m thrilled to announce this new milestone in our journey. Tencent and Foxconn both have pedigrees that speak for themselves and such an investment especially in today’s market just goes to show the strong foundation on which Hike is being built. The new fund raise is going to allow us to push Hike to greater heights and invest in areas that will be key to our long term vision and success,” said Hike founder and CEO
Popular on BI
- SIMPLY PUT: What happened before India got Freedom@Midnight
- Here’s how much banks have increased home loan interest rates
- Avatar 2, Black Panther 2, Ant Man — Here is a complete list of Hollywood movies expected to hit Indian theaters in the next 6-7 months
- Qmin has been profitable business for IHCL from day one, says Jehangir Press
- India's foreign exchange reserves fall to $573 bn