The best glass cleaners you can buy
Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- There's nothing worse than a dirty window, cloudy mirror, or dirt-spattered windshield. Everyone needs a good glass cleaner to keep those surfaces clean, so we used more than a dozen different glass cleaners to find the best one.
- Windex Original Glass Cleaner still reigns supreme because it cuts through grime, doesn't leave streaks, and doesn't cost much.
A thorough window cleaning is one of the more thankless tasks on the household chore list, but fortunately, it's one you only have to complete a couple of times per year. To prevent the build-up of stubborn hard water stains on windows, thorough cleaning in spring and fall should do the trick. As for the shower door, that's going to require much more frequent cleaning. So, too,- will mirrors that are regularly exposed to humidity. On close examination, it's amazing how dirty glass surfaces can get, really. Amazing ... and disheartening, unless you have the best glass cleaners at your disposal.
We've tested several glass cleaners over the years, and they all essentially perform the same task: They help you clean glass. Our choices are differentiated not by their efficacy as much as by the unique properties. One is designed to preserve all the helpful microscopic organisms that share your home's microbiome with you and your family, another features an all-natural corn-based solvent, and another is almost as cheap as the dirt it will help remove.
We're sure at least one of these glass cleaners will be a fit for your needs, and in fact, maybe you'll choose to use a couple. Keep in mind that proper glass cleaning technique can be as important as the glass cleaner you're using. If you are cleaning windows with paper towels or rags, make sure to switch out the dirty ones for clean ones regularly to avoid simply moving the dirt around on the window.
Ideally, window, shower door, auto glass, and even mirror cleaning involves a glass cleaner, a squeegee, and a couple of sponges. You should sponge on the cleaner, then use the squeegee to remove as much of the stuff as possible using a downward back and forth S-shaped pattern. Then get the corners and any patches you missed with a clean sponge. Now on to our top picks for the best glass cleaner you can buy.
Here are the best window cleaners you can buy in 2019:
- Best glass cleaner overall: Windex Original Glass Cleaner
- Best natural glass cleaner: Method Natural Glass and Surface Cleaner
- Best glass cleaner without ammonia: Glass Plus Glass Cleaner
- Best glass cleaner for hard water stains: Bio Clean Hard Water Stain Remover
- Best health-conscious glass cleaner: Aunt Fannies Glass and Window Vinegar Wash
Updated on 04/24/2019 by Les Shu: Updated pricing, links, and formatting. Added related buying guides for cleaning products.
Read on in the slides below to check out our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The best glass cleaner overall
The best natural glass cleaner
The best glass cleaner without ammonia
The best glass cleaner for hard water stains
The best health-conscious glass cleaner
Check out our other guides to the best cleaning products for your home
- US will give runway rights at NJ airport to a budget airline
- Wealth management firm White Oak Capital gets SEBI’s nod to enter mutual fund business
- IPO-bound Pine Labs raises another $100 million
- Virat Kohli to step down as India’s T20 captain, says he had ‘immense workload’ over the years
- India's bad bank gets government nod — green lights NARCL with ₹30,600 crore guarantee