How The World Is Remembering A 'Hugely Important Internet Voice,' Aaron Swartz
The death of
Here is some of what people are saying this morning:
"Be curious. Read widely. Try new things. I think a lot of what people call intelligence just boils down to curiosity."RIP Aaron Swartz— Stephen Quinn (@CaddyQuinn) January 12, 2013
Reading my feed this morning apparently everyone knew Aaron Swartz, no surprise. I had various dealings with him over the years, always good— Glenn Fleishman (@GlennF) January 12, 2013
Let's remember: the US govt went after Aaron Swartz with everything they had, to put him away for 35 years for DOWNLOADING JOURNAL ARTICLES.— Tim Carmody (@tcarmody) January 12, 2013
"If I get hit by a truck…" Aaron wrote in 2002. "BTW, I'll miss you all." bit.ly/ZHxoIZ— Glenn Fleishman (@GlennF) January 12, 2013
Whaaa??! "Aaron Swartz Commits Suicide"rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/sl…— Christopher Schaefer (@ChrisSchaef) January 12, 2013
Sad to hear about Aaron Swartz. RIP— Travis Berry (@travisberry) January 12, 2013
A hugely important internet voice. RIP.zdnet.com/hacker-activis…— Jonathan Hendler (@hendler) January 12, 2013
If we can have a copyright act named after Sonny Bono, we can have a copyright reform act named for Aaron Swartz. In a better world, maybe.— Matthew Green (@matthew_d_green) January 12, 2013
Legit had never heard of Aaron Swartz before today, now see that I should have. Sad story, condolences to his friends.— Brian Papa (@bpapa) January 12, 2013
Only the good die young. thanks fir everything Aaron Swartz. Internet will never forget you. Peace, little star boingboing.net/2013/01/12/rip…— Om Malik (@om) January 12, 2013
Aaron's mom has posted a statement on YCombinator:
Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. Aaron has been depressed about his case/upcoming trial, but we had no idea what he was going through was this painful.
Aaron was a terrific young man. He contributed a lot to the world in his short life and I regret the loss of all the things he had yet to accomplish. As you can imagine, we all miss him dearly. The grief is unfathomable.
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- Elon Musk told his 76-year-old dad Errol to 'keep quiet' in a text message after he said he wasn't proud of his son, report says
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon told wealthy clients there's a chance the US is heading into 'something worse' than a recession, report says
- Nepotism and termite-like corruption dented India : Modi
- Modi lists five pledges to turn India into a developed country in 25 years
- There will be a major shift in the way Indians shop and consume brands
- Modi remembers Nehru and Sarvarkar in his speech today
- Made-in-India gun used for 1st time for ceremonial salute at Red Fort on Independence Day