How to add a device to Find My iPhone to track the location of your iPhone, iPad, or Mac computer
- You can add a device to Find My iPhone to track the location of your iPhone, iPad, or Mac computer if you lose it.
- You have to activate Find My iPhone on your device to ensure your iCloud account can find the device before it goes missing.
- You can also remove devices to ensure you're locating the correct iPhone, iPad, or Mac, as well as eliminate past devices that are no longer active.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Unlike many other features, though, this is one you have to activate before you need to use it.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to turn on Find My iPhone on your iPhone or iPad
1. Tap "Settings."
2. Tap on your Apple ID (this is your name and should say below it "Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes & App Store").
3. Tap on iCloud (should be the top of the second set of options).
4. Scroll down and tap "Find My iPhone" (or "Find my iPad").5. Tap on "Find My iPhone" in the next screen to toggle it. You can now find your iPhone (or iPad) using your cloud ID.
Sometimes, however, you might need to find a Mac computer you misplaced.
How to turn on Find My Mac
1. Click on the Apple menu on your Mac (the Apple icon in the upper right hand corner).
2. Click on System Preferences.
3. Click on iCloud.
4. Scroll down to and check "Find My Mac."
How to remove a device from Find My iPhone
The easiest way to do this is on a computer via iCloud.com, which is also the easiest way to find your iPhone.
1. Sign in to your iCloud account on iCloud.com (may require authentication depending on what computer you're using to access it).
2. Click on Find My iPhone.
3. Click on "All Devices."
4. Click on the device you wish to remove.
5. Click on "Remove from Account."
6. It will ask you to confirm this removal and to authenticate by entering your iCloud password. This will officially confirm the removal.