How to enable MMS on your iPhone to send multimedia messages without using iMessage
- It's easy to enable MMS on your iPhone, and in most cases, it is likely already enabled.
- MMS - multimedia messaging service - allows you to send pictures and other media via text, as well as send longer texts.
- If you have a limited data plan or poor internet connection, and iMessage isn't working on your iPhone, you should turn off iMessage and use MMS instead.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Enabling MMS - multimedia messaging service - on your iPhone allows you to send pictures, videos, songs, and all sorts of media, especially to people who don't have iMessage.While it's usually a default setting, you might have to make sure it's on, especially if you're having trouble sending media. Advertisement
Apple's iMessage is the newest evolution, using cellular data or Wi-Fi to help send messages.However, sometimes you might not want to use iMessage on your iPhone - if you have a limited data plan, for example, or a poor internet connection, or you'd simply rather send text messages the old-fashioned way.
If this is the case, you'll want to turn off iMessage and only use MMS or SMS. Here's how to make sure MMS is enabled on your iPhone.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to enable MMS on an iPhone1. Open Settings.Advertisement
2. Tap on Messages (it should be about halfway down the column that starts with "Passwords & Accounts").
3. Scroll down to the column with the heading "SMS/MMS" and if necessary tap on "MMS Messaging" to turn the toggle green.
How to turn off iMessage to send only MMS or SMS
Again, this will cut down on data usage and requirements, though it will add to your cellular text usage.
1. Open Settings.2. Tap on Messages (it should be about halfway down the column that starts with "Passwords & Accounts").Advertisement
Once iMessage is off, if for some reason you really want to restrict what content you can text, you can turn off MMS as well, solely leaving you with SMS.Advertisement
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
- Assam breaches 500-mark in COVID-19 cases, 156 new infections
- Assam breaches 500-mark in COVID-19 cases, 147 new infections
- Rajasthan eases lockdown norms, allows taxis, auto rickshaws to operate in red zones
- Bihar reports 163 fresh COVID cases, tally climbs to 2,737
- UP records 8 more COVID-related deaths; 229 fresh cases take tally to 6,497