How to get verified on Facebook and receive a checkmark that marks your account as authentic
William Antonelli/Business Insider
- Getting verified on Facebook isn't as easy as making a few clicks.
- Becoming verified and receiving a blue verification check on your Facebook account requires you to be a public figure, or of public interest.
- You can become verified on Facebook either through a page or personal profile.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Social media is full of fake accounts. So it makes sense that companies like Snapchat, Twitter, and Facebook allow certain accounts to become "verified," as a way to signal that they're the real deal.Facebook uses a blue check to show that the company has verified a page or person of public interest (think celebrities or big brand names). There's also a gray check that's used to signify other authentic pages, for those who don't meet the "public interest" qualification.
Either way, verification is free. For those seeking the blue or gray check mark, here's what you'll need to qualify:
- A cover photo
- A profile photo
- A name that follows Facebook's guidelines
- Content posted to the account
- Visitors are allowed to follow you (profiles only)
- Be able to provide a government-issued I.D. like a driver's license, national identification card or passport (profiles only)
- Be able to provide a document (like your organization's phone or utility bill, a certificate or formation, articles or incorporation, or tax documents) with a watermark, for pages not representing a person
How to get verified with a blue checkmark on Facebook
To get verified, you'll need to use the desktop version of Facebook. And for pages, you'll need to have it set to "public figure."Once that's in place, here's how to get your page verified on Facebook:1. Go to facebook.com and log into your account.Advertisement
2. Go to this link and fill it out, including adding in a reason why your account should be verified.3. Hit "Send."Advertisement
You'll get a notification after Facebook has started reviewing your request, and in the event that it's denied, you'd be able to re-apply 30 days after rejection.
How to get verified with a gray checkmark on Facebook
If, instead, you want the gray checkmark, go to your page's settings, and under the "General" tab select "Page Verification."Then click "Verify this page" and enter a publicly listed phone number for your business, your country and language. Click "Call me now" - this lets Facebook call you with a verification code. Advertisement
After that, simply enter that four-digit verification code click "Continue." You'll get a notification about your status once the company's reviewed your credentials.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
NOW WATCH: Watch SpaceX's 'most difficult launch ever'
- Zomato announces 10 days of menstrual leave for all women employees – including transgender people
- Mukesh Ambani is now the world’s fourth-richest person after he beat Louis Vuitton owner Bernard Arnault
- If you have a high risk tolerance — here are a few ‘aggressive’ investment bets to consider
- Karnataka is building a cycling map for Bengaluru by crowdsourcing inputs from city's cyclists
- Indian Medical Association says nearly 200 doctors have lost their lives to COVID-19