Hyderabad is the new Kota as it tops the chart with IIT JEE success stories
AdvertisementBeing over hyped for its IIT JEE culture and too much of stress-related suicides happening, the small town of Kota has already gained too much ill repute. And now Hyderabad is outshining the Rajasthan’s small town in terms of success.
While the number of coaching institutes catering to the IIT aspirant crowd are mushrooming every season in Hyderabad, this year at least 1.5 lakhs of students have joined the race.
"The fascination among students in Telangana and AP for JEE has only increased over the years. It is only in the last one decade that there has been a sudden rise in the number of takers. The coaching industry has only catered to the increasing demand," Dheeraj Kumar Misra, regional director, operations, south zone at Aakash Educational Services Pvt Ltd told The Times of India.
In the 90s, the number of aspirants was barely 3000, which has now pumped up to 1.5 lakh. Hyderabad has dominated the merit list with almost 50 percent of the top 10 rankers for the past several years. If the results for JEE (advanced) 2016 are anything to go by, then six out of top 10 rankers were from Hyderabad.
Popular on BI
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- A Google engineer of 8 years says his 'spidey-senses' detected incoming layoffs — and felt 'isolated' when his 'faceless' severance email arrived
- 6 signs that you're in a one-sided relationship and how to find balance
- Google may release Pixel Tablet Pro with Tensor G2 chip
- BMW launches its 3rd gen BMW X1 in India
- YouTube Music on the web gets mood filters
- Premium segment contributed 35% of overall smartphone market revenue in 2022
- US industry urges FM to rationalise, simplify direct and indirect taxes in India