Hyderabad is the new Kota as it tops the chart with IIT JEE success stories
AdvertisementBeing over hyped for its IIT JEE culture and too much of stress-related suicides happening, the small town of Kota has already gained too much ill repute. And now Hyderabad is outshining the Rajasthan’s small town in terms of success.
While the number of coaching institutes catering to the IIT aspirant crowd are mushrooming every season in Hyderabad, this year at least 1.5 lakhs of students have joined the race.
"The fascination among students in Telangana and AP for JEE has only increased over the years. It is only in the last one decade that there has been a sudden rise in the number of takers. The coaching industry has only catered to the increasing demand," Dheeraj Kumar Misra, regional director, operations, south zone at Aakash Educational Services Pvt Ltd told The Times of India.
In the 90s, the number of aspirants was barely 3000, which has now pumped up to 1.5 lakh. Hyderabad has dominated the merit list with almost 50 percent of the top 10 rankers for the past several years. If the results for JEE (advanced) 2016 are anything to go by, then six out of top 10 rankers were from Hyderabad.
Popular on BI
- The 10-year Treasury yield will drop to 3.5% by the end of next year as the massive bond rally will continue, UBS says
- Instagram's crisis highlights the bigger issues the entire ad industry is facing
- Exit polls predict BJP advantage in MP, Rajasthan, Congress win in Chhattisgarh, Telangana and tight contest in Mizoram
- International air travel penetration remains low in India: CAPA
- "Meeting friends is always a delight": PM Modi reacts to 'Melodi' selfie shared by Italian counterpart Georgia Meloni
- WhatsApp testing new feature that lets you search users by their username
- Delhi airport: Flights diverted due to bad smog, bad weather
- Meta expanding child safety measures as scrutiny mounts