I checked out 2 shows at the biggest art event in New York - here were the highlights
Armory Week is the art-world equivalent of Fashion Week, Sundance, or South By Southwest. The event, which just wrapped up in New York City, takes its name from the Armory Show art fair, though there are several other independently run art fairs happening at the same time.
Forrest Almasi/Business Insider
These fairs function like trade shows for art galleries. A bunch of galleries from around the globe exhibit under one roof and try to sell their best new works to collectors that might otherwise not see them. They're annual destination events for art professionals, tote bag enthusiasts, and well-to-do collectors.
Each fair is a little different. I checked out NADA - a non-profit focused on art done by emerging artists and presented by new dealers - and the titular Armory Show, one of the highest-attended art fairs in the world. Here's what I saw.
Popular on BI
- I bought a car wash at 22 years old. It basically runs itself — and I make $5,500 in passive income each month.
- Companies say Elon Musk's plan to charge $1,000 for month for Twitter checkmarks is 'outlandish' and makes them 'meaningless'
- A lawyer who quit to become an OnlyFans performer says she now makes more money and is happier
- Sky gazers in for celestial treat tonight with 5 planets forming an arc
- Sensex, Nifty close marginally down in volatile trade
- After disappointing 2022, wind industry to expect record installations over the next three years: GWEC report
- Most infidelities committed during honeymoon phase, says survey by extramarital dating app Gleeden
- WhatsApp releases update to fix expiration bug on Android beta