I quit fast fashion a year ago and discovered 9 reasons to never go back
- Fast fashion uses cheap materials to churn out clothing quickly at stores like H&M, Uniqlo, and Zara.
- Buying fast fashion often ends up costing consumers more in the long run, and the practice also has consequences for workers and for the environment.
- I quit fast fashion a year ago and haven't looked back, and I compiled the nine biggest reasons why.
Fast fashion is a business model that uses cheap materials and labor to churn out clothing collections at a rapid pace.
But although fast fashion leads to great prices for consumers at stores like H&M or Uniqlo, there are some serious drawbacks to it.
For one, fast fashion might not be such a great deal after all. According to McKinsey and Company, the average consumer purchased 60% more items of clothing in 2014 than in 2000, but kept each garment for half as long, whether because the garment fell apart, went out of style, or was simply viewed as disposable. That number is only growing.
Luckily, we have many options outside of fast fashion, and it's possible to find stylish, affordable, and ethical clothing if you just know where to look.
So last April, I decided to kick my fast fashion addition for good. I stopped going to H&M, Uniqlo, Zara, Forever 21, and Target altogether. I've leaned heavily on second-hand stores and borrowing. And I've started questioning why I feel the need to buy so much in the first place.
Nearly a year into this experiment, I know I'm never going back. Here's why.
There are plenty of options out there for sustainable clothing
I got to indulge in one of my favorite hobbies: thrifting
My biggest fear — finding underwear, swimwear and fitness apparel — turned out to be a non-issue.
My clothes have greater staying power
I've learned new skills like stitching and iron-patching to make my clothes last even longer
I take better care of what I already own
Last-minute events are less stressful
When I feel like I have nothing to wear, I reorganize my closet
Shopping is less convenient, which isn't a bad thing
- College dropout, auto driver, ‘original Sainik’ — Ekanth Shinde’s rocky ride to CM’s seat
- Gold import duty hiked to 15% from 10.75% earlier
- Adding money to your Paytm wallet can’t get easier than this
- Best smartwatches under ₹3,000 in India
- Mukesh Ambani & Anil Agarwal lose ₹1.17 lakh crore in a few hours as government slaps two different oil taxes