I tried Samsung's new outrageously wide $1,500 computer monitor - here's what it's like
Antonio Villas-Boas/Business Insider
- Samsung's new CRG9 gaming monitor is outrageously wide, and it has a higher 1440p resolution than the original model from 2017, which had a 1080p resolution.
- The resolution bump in the new CRG9 monitor makes it a viable option, at least for those who can afford its $1,500 price tag.
- The CRG9 also has a 120Hz refresh rate, which makes for super-smooth gaming as long as you have a computer that's powerful enough to run games at such a high refresh rate and on such a wide monitor.
- The CRG9 is available to buy today.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Samsung released its new "super-ultra-wide" $1,500 CRG9 gaming monitor on Thursday for pre-order, and I'm afraid it'll make anyone who bought the first model from 2017 regret their purchase.
The new CRG9 monitor comes in the same size and outrageously wide 32:9 aspect ratio, which is the exact equivalent of two regular, 16:9 computer monitors put together.
There are a few upgrades that are worth mentioning later, but the biggest upgrade in the new CRG9 monitor is a higher 1440p resolution versus the 1080p resolution from the original 2017 model.
For a luxury item like a $1,500 super-ultra-wide monitor, that bump in resolution makes all the difference.
I recently checked out the new CRG9 monitor myself. Here's what it's like:
The sheer size of the CRG9 monitor alone is something to behold.
The biggest upgrade fixes the main issue I had with the original monitor.
The new CRG9 carries over the same curved screen as the original, which isn't a gimmick.
Of course I played a game on this thing — that's what it's designed to do.
Combined with the immersion, the resolution upgrade in the CRG9 does justice to games and gamers who care about how their games look.
You'd still need an incredibly powerful computer to make the most of the new CRG9 monitor. But it's not a requisite, and it depends on a few things, too.
Here are the rest of the important specs.
You can pre-order Samsung's new CRG9 monitor now for $1,500.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala