I was a travel consultant for 5 years - here are the 9 best ways I saved money on travel
- As a travel consultant, I helped clients find traveling options based on their schedules and budgets.
- I learned several money-saving tricks along the way, and I still use them when I'm booking my own travel.
- The tricks include strategically mixing and matching your flight itineraries, waiting to book my flight until the perfect time, and joining AAA for the hotel discounts.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Most people would like to travel more than they do, but because of the costs, decide to stay closer to home.But traveling doesn't have to be expensive.Advertisement
As a travel consultant for five years, I helped clients find the best traveling options based on their schedules, budgets, and other needs. Along the way, I discovered plenty of tricks to save money on my own travels, which I continue to use to this day.
While you are probably aware of common money-saving tricks like joining a frequent flyer program or booking an Airbnb instead of a hotel, you might not be aware of some lesser-known strategies.Here are nine of the best ways to save money while traveling that I learned on the job.
Build hotel loyalty to get benefits
Get foreign currency from local ATMsAdvertisement
Book hotels as a group
Mix and match your flight connectionsAdvertisement
Have American Express cover your rental car insuranceAdvertisement
Use public transit whenever possible
Buy your plane ticket six months in advanceAdvertisement
Learn the language
- Bio-secure bubbles – Here's how IPL players will be staying safe during the pandemic
- INTERVIEW: Chennai-based CAMS’ 30-year journey to an IPO
- Amazon pumps in money into MORE to take on the heavyweights Reliance Retail and DMart
- 30 COVID vaccine candidates being developed: Health Ministry
- INTERVIEW: Paytm trains its guns on Google while the payments app is back in Play Store