I was a travel consultant for 5 years - here are the 9 best ways I saved money on travel
- As a travel consultant, I helped clients find traveling options based on their schedules and budgets.
- I learned several money-saving tricks along the way, and I still use them when I'm booking my own travel.
- The tricks include strategically mixing and matching your flight itineraries, waiting to book my flight until the perfect time, and joining AAA for the hotel discounts.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Most people would like to travel more than they do, but because of the costs, decide to stay closer to home.
But traveling doesn't have to be expensive.
As a travel consultant for five years, I helped clients find the best traveling options based on their schedules, budgets, and other needs. Along the way, I discovered plenty of tricks to save money on my own travels, which I continue to use to this day.
While you are probably aware of common money-saving tricks like joining a frequent flyer program or booking an Airbnb instead of a hotel, you might not be aware of some lesser-known strategies.
Here are nine of the best ways to save money while traveling that I learned on the job.
Build hotel loyalty to get benefits
Get foreign currency from local ATMs
Book hotels as a group
Mix and match your flight connections
Have American Express cover your rental car insurance
Use public transit whenever possible
Buy your plane ticket six months in advance
Learn the language
- Smaller crypto exchanges in South Korea will be closing their doors in the next 24 hours
- Powered by Unacademy and upGrad’s mega deals, Indian startups raised $10.8 billion in the last two months
- TVS Eurogrip denies speculation over signing a Rs 23 crore sponsorship deal with Chennai Super Kings
- Crypto market in the red as Solana remains the most heavily hit
- Google Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro: Everything we know so far