I was seriously considering buying a Tesla Model 3, but I ultimately decided against it - here's why
- I recently bought a new car, but it wasn't a Tesla Model 3.
- The Tesla Model 3 has wildly impressed me in the multiple times I've driven and tested it. But while I seriously considered buying one, I ultimately chose something closer to my old Toyota Prius.
- I haven't ruled out future Tesla ownership, of course. There's a pretty good chance I'll own one on the next decade.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
For various reasons, I had to buy a car recently. The details aren't terribly important, but I ended up with a certified pre-owned Toyota RAV4 hybrid.Of course, the vehicle that's most influenced my thinking about cars in the past year or so has easily been the Tesla Model 3. I seriously considered ordering one, and for the record, I fully expect to own some sort of Tesla vehicle in the next 10 years.Advertisement
I didn't go for it this time around, however. And I had my reasons!
Here they are:Get the latest Tesla stock price here.
1. The Model 3 is a bit too new in the market. I'm no early adopter. I prefer to wait until something new has taken a few spins around the block. The Model 3 is sufficiently different from the Model S and Model X that I'd rather wait a few years while the kinks are ironed out.
2. I don't have a charger at my house (yet). We don't test enough electric and plug-in vehicles at Business Insider to justify a Level 2 home charger, so I usually just charge off a wall outlet and run the cable into my front yard.Advertisement
3. The Model 3 is still more expensive than what I like in a car.
4. The Model 3 fits my lifestyle perfectly — but I still need an everyday gas-powered car.Advertisement
5. The sound system is magnificent.
6. I like hatchbacks. The Model 3 has a groovy fastback roofline, but it terminates in a trunk, not a hatch (there's also a front trunk, or "frunk.")Advertisement
Cargo capacity is good, and the frunk helps. But for me, a proper hatchback better suits my needs.
7. The Model 3's dashboard and touchscreen are cool — but I prefer knobs and buttons.Advertisement
8. The Model 3 wouldn't be my first choice for a road-trip-mobile.
- From coffee made out of poop to the one exported from a remote island in the middle of Atlantic Ocean – these are the most expensive coffee in the world
- Lal Bahadur Shastri famous quotes
- Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti 2020: Mahatma Gandhi Famous Quotes
- Reliance Retail raises another ₹1,875 crore as Silver Lake comes back with an additional investment
- India leaves borrowing calendar unchanged — sticks to its ₹12 lakh crore target for the year