If the latest iPhone 8 rumors are true, Samsung should be worried
Martin Hajek/Computer Bild
If you've been following the rumors closely, none of this is new. But it's worth mentioning again as Apple's rival Samsung prepares to launch its next major phone.Here's a sampling of what Bloomberg says is coming to the next iPhone.
- A larger display that covers most of the front of the phone.
- An OLED screen with better color representation.
- Symmetrical glass and steel design.
- No more home button.
It's like 2012 and 2013 all over again, when Samsung was credited for innovating with big-screen phones while Apple remained adamant that 4-inch phones were the sweet spot. (Remember all those Apple-Is-Doomed takes?) Now Samsung has out-designed and out-innovated Apple again with the Galaxy S8.Of course, that changed with the launch of the big-screen iPhone 6 and 6 Plus in 2014, and Samsung's fortunes immediately began to reverse.
My prediction: Samsung will enjoy a good six or seven months in the spotlight with the best-looking, most innovative hardware thanks to the S8. But as soon as we get a look at the next iPhone, it's going to be hard for Samsung to differentiate its phones again.
- After Bihar, now BJP promises free Corona vaccine in MP
- Sanofi, GSK to support COVAX with 200mn doses of Covid-19 vaccine
- Union Minister Smriti Irani tests positive for COVID-19
- Samsung overtakes Xiaomi to retake the smartphone crown in India
- Axis Bank is back in the black as fee collections ramp up and ₹10,000 crore in fund raising cushions the balance sheet