If you see this mysterious code on your boarding pass, get ready to be searched
That's because the passengers whose boarding passes bear these four letters have been pre-selected for additional security screening.
"SSSS stands for Secondary Security Screening Selection and it appears on a passenger's boarding pass when they've been selected by TSA's Secure Flight system for enhanced security screening," a TSA spokesman told Business Insider in a statement.
According to the TSA, the meaning of "SSSS" has been public knowledge for years. However, the average traveler would be hard pressed to find reliable information on the mysterious four-letter designation without approaching the TSA.
In that same statement, the TSA explained the system used to select passengers for secondary screening.
"Secure Flight is a risk-based passenger prescreening program that enhances security by identifying low and high-risk passengers before they arrive at the airport by matching their names against trusted traveler lists and watchlists," the agency said.
Secure Flight collects only basic personal information like full name, date of birth, and gender, "necessary to conduct effective matching," the TSA told us. In addition, Secure Flight is also used to prevent those on the No Fly List and the Centers for Disease Control's Do Not Board List from getting on planes.
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders