IITs, NITs are facing a dearth of teachers as 6,000 posts lie empty
- As many as 6,000 teaching posts are vacant in India’s top engineering colleges — IITs and NITs.
- There are 2,813 job vacancies in IITs, while 3,211 in NIT campuses across the country.
- NIT campuses have 4,346 non- teaching job vacancies.
As many as 6,000 teaching posts — 2,813 in the IITs and 3,211 in NITs — have been vacant across locations. Since, the institutions are autonomous bodies, the government has asked to run special recruitment drives to hire for these positions.
Despite nearly 8,856 positions allocated to
Of the 2,813 teaching vacancies, 170 were reserved for Scheduled Castes (SC) and Scheduled Tribes (ST).
For NIT campuses, the institute sanctioned 7,413 faculty positions, of which, 3,211 haven't been filled yet. The remaining 4,202 teachers include 543 people employed from the reserved category, the Minister noted.
In fact, the institute has a dearth of non-teaching staff as well. According to the HRD Ministry, vacancies for jobs like administrative positions have not filled either. Of the 8,163 of these positions, 4,346 positions are vacant.
As on January 2019, India’s central universities — including IITs — have over a third of teaching vacancies, HRD Minister Prakash Javedekar told The Times of India while addressing a roundtable on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) opportunities.
Drone operators and satellite map experts are some of the 2 million jobs in Indian farms that automation will open up
IIT students are choosing AI over computer science as job prospects change
The Indian Army faces resource crunch with over 49,000 vacant posts
- Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti - Interesting facts about the 'father of the nation'
- 1,108 COVID-19 cases in Nashik, tally reaches 76,984
- Surat district records 288 COVID-19 cases, 299 recoveries
- Sikkim reports 38 new COVID-19 cases; tally rises to 2,970
- Einstein's theory of general relativity just got 500 times harder to beat thanks to the first-ever black hole to be caught on camera