In India, a yoga guru is selling his own SIM cards
AdvertisementAfter disrupting the consumer goods sector with his
Ramdev started off as a yogi and gained fame with regular appearances on television. He then launched his consumer good brand, Patanjali Ayurved, in 2006. The company offers everything from herbal toothpaste to cosmetics to snacks. The brand even commenced e-commerce operations earlier this year in January.
On May 27th, the yogi unveiled his own brand of SIM cards,
पूज्य @yogrishiramdev जी महाराज द्वारा स्वदेशी समृद्धि सिम कार्ड लॉन्च किया गया।पतंजलि और बीएसएनएल द्वारा संयुक्त रूप से जारी इस खास सिम का फायदा पतंजलि के कार्यकर्ता और संगठन से जुड़े पदाधिकारी उठा सकेंगे। इस सिम से मिलने वाला प्रॉफिट देश हित में लगाया जाएगा। #Patanjali #BSNL pic.twitter.com/f8CR6hXZhx— Patanjali Ayurved (@PypAyurved) May 28, 2018
Given the price wars in India’s telecom sector, a consequence of Reliance Jio’s entry, Baba Ramdev has chosen to price his SIM cards at extremely modest rates. Customers only need to pay a paltry sum of ₹144 to avail a connection that includes unlimited calling, 100 text messages and 2 gigabytes worth of data.
What’s more, Swadeshi Samriddhi subscribers will also receive a 10% discount on all Patanjali products as well as ₹250,000 worth of medical insurance coverage and ₹500,000 worth of life insurance coverage. There is, however, an odd catch to the insurance coverage - it only kicks in in the event of a road accident.
The timeline of the SIM card’s market launch wasn’t revealed, but its expected to take place within the next few months. Speaking at the launch, Ramdev pledged that the SIM card was “for the welfare of the country”.
While the impact of the move on competing telcos remains to be seen, it seems that mobile subscribers will continue to benefit from low prices for the foreseeable future.
Popular on BI
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- 10 Must-Do activities on your next Darjeeling Trip
- Govt received ₹1,70,501 crore in April as revenue
- Shubman Gill, Sunil Narine, Virat Kohli & more: IPL man of the series winners since 2008
- Five personal finance deadlines you can’t afford to miss in June
- List of famous things to buy in Darjeeling