India breaks 86-year-old hockey record at Asian Games
Indiadefeated Hong Kong in Pool B of the Asian Gameson Tuesday.
- Their score of 26-0 set a new international record for the Indian
- India currently ranks 5th globally, whereas Hong Kong is 45th.
The first goal was scored within the first two minutes of the match by
India’s earlier record was against the United States during the 1993 Los Angeles Olympic Games with a score of 24-1. Internationally, the biggest win is held by New Zealand when they beat Samoa 36-1 in 1994.
India at the Asian Games
So far, at the Asian Games, India has bagged four gold, four silver and nine bronze medals. While that may sound impressive, it only makes India rank 7th in the games overall. And, the difference from the top spot is huge.
China leads the table with 37 gold and 30 silver medals followed by Japan that has won 30 gold and 23 silver medals.
And, India’s seventh spot isn’t all that concrete with Thailand close behind with only 1 silver medal keeping them apart.
Popular on BI
- Over 60 schools in and around Bengaluru receive bomb threat, students evacuated safely
- TVS Motor Co sales rise 31% to 3,64,231 units in November
- Johnny Depp unknowingly taught Ranveer Singh the craft of acting
- Midcap index rising for last 21 sessions, hitting fresh highs since November 16
- Global smartwatch shipments up 9% in Q3, Fire-Boltt & Huawei hit new highs: Report