India needs people like these to make Swachh Bharat Abhiyan a big success
AdvertisementWhen PM Narendra Modi urged Indians to participate in a cleanliness drive by picking up the broom and cleaning the dirt on the road himself, many people came out in his support. We saw the likes of Amitabh Bachchan, Sachin Tendulkar, Salman Khan and who not, out with a broom in their hands and cleaning the roads, picking up garbage. We saw their photo-ops, read other celebs’ and social activists’ speeches and were somehow convinced that our country is going to change for the better. But, did it?
Well, not to the extent we had expected, but things seem to be moving in the right direction in few areas. Read this, “ Sanitation facilities have improved in rural India. About 95 lakh toilets were built across the country in less than a year.” Now, guess who actually drove this positive change in communities and helped villages achieve Open Defecation Free status.
No, these people were no heroes. Neither they have or have had any political aspirations. They were just ordinary people, who did extraordinary things to make Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan a ‘roaring’ success. This article will introduce you to four of them: Sanjana, a transgender from Nandni; Mithilesh, a specially-abled kid, who can’t walk or speak, from Brahmanbheri; Madan Nath, whose main occupation is catching snakes or performing Kalbelia from Ganahera; and Rashida Ravani, a simple girl from Kesla.
Image credit: Linkedin
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk's brain-chip startup shares video it says shows a monkey telepathically 'typing'
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Herschel Walker's son says Trump called his father for months demanding that he run, while 'everyone with a brain' begged him not to
- Data of 6 lakh Indians sold on 'bot' markets for nearly ₹490 each
- Rupee gains 19 paise to 82.28 against US dollar
- Gujarat assembly elections: BJP inches towards all-time high record of 149 seats
- It takes 32 days for a company to hire an employee says talent intelligence platform Oorwin
- What’s cooking India? Paneer Pasanda, Modak and more are top trending recipes on Google 2022
- Jio Haptik
- Gig jobs
- Sula Vineyards IPO
- Whatsapp tips
- International Roaming Plans
- RBI hikes repo rate
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Most Valuable Companies
- Most searched movies
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World