India to manufacture Russian Kalashnikov rifles, sets up joint venture near Amethi
President of Russia
- The plant will operate under the Indo-Russia Rifles Pvt Ltd, located in Korwa, near Amethi.
- The move is aimed at strengthening India-Russia defense ties and technical collaboration.
- The AK-203s will reportedly replace the INSAS rifles used by the Indian armed forces.
The plant will operate under the Indo-Russia Rifles Pvt Ltd, located in Korwa, near Amethi in eastern Uttar Pradesh. It will reportedly produce about 7,50,000 AK-203 rifles, the most recent version of the famous AK-47 rifles.
The move is aimed at strengthening India-Russia defense ties and technical collaboration. The unit, along with the planned ‘defence corridor’ in Uttar Pradesh that will connect up to six cities in the northern Indian state, will help the country’s defense capabilities,
“The defence production corridor and Kalashnikov rifle AK-203 next generation rifle will help India, Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said, adding the AK-203 transfer of technology will be “completely indigenous” and help create employment.
The AK-203s will replace the INSAS rifles used by the Indian armed forces, the Indian Express reported.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has said the factory will become another "symbol of friendship and constructive cooperation between our two countries," pointing to long-standing military and technical cooperation between the two countries. The two have set up over 170 military and industrial facilities two countries have set up in the past with Russia’s assistance.
Russia to help India with its first manned space mission, may train astronauts aboard the ISS
AdvertisementThe focus of the India-Russia summit this week will be on one key missile deal
- Sensex registers worst trading day since May 2020 — ends nearly 2000 points lower
- HUL aims to achieve 100% plastic waste collection this year
- India now allows you to avail a discount on flight ticket if you are not carrying a check-in baggage
- Leader of Opposition, 4 other Cong MLAs suspended for rest of Budget session over alleged manhandling of Himachal Pradesh Governor. PTI DJI SMN ASH ASH
- Levi’s ad with global ambassador Deepika Padukone aims at inspiring a culture of sisterhood and celebrate individuality