Dhanteras 2023: what is the story behind Dhanteras
The mythology story behind Dhanteras
Once upon a time, there was a king named Hima who ruled over his kingdom with justice and love as the two tools of his governance. He had a son and the astrologers predicted that his son would face the end of his life due to snake bite on his sixteenth year. A sense of deep anguish tormented King Hima’s heart and he searched for ways to save his son’s life. As per the advice of a renowned astrologer, he got his son married to a girl who had a lucky horoscope. The couple lived happily for a few years. The boy neared his sixteenth year and the king started worrying about the impending death of his son.
The girl launches an adventure
The astrological predictions said a snake would bite the boy when he stepped into his sixteenth year of life on the earth. On the eve of the boy’s sixteenth birthday, the girl hatched a clever plan to save the life of her husband. She gathered all her jewels and piled them up in front of the main door. She advised her husband not to sleep and she too stayed awake throughout the night. She sat near the entrance of the home guarding the main door.
Lord Yama arrives story
During the appointed hour of taking the boy’s life, Lord Yama, the god of death arrived in front of the house in the form of a serpent. The snake crawled its way to the main door of the house. When the snake was about to enter the door, the pile of ornaments stopped it on the way. The ornaments were so dazzling that the snake could not see anything around it clearly. Meanwhile, the girl kept singing melodious songs throughout the night. The songs were so alluring that the snake stayed at the doorstep enjoying the songs. The time to take the life of the boy elapsed and Lord Yama in the form of snake had to give up his mission. Thus the witty idea of the girl helped save the life of her husband.
Dhanteras was born story
This legend gave rise to the event of Dhanteras celebrated year on year on the same day of Krishna Paksha Trayodashi in the month of Kartika just before the Diwali festival. The popular belief among the Hindus has helped continue this holy tradition that says Dhanteras is the surest way to invite prosperity into the household and seek the long life of the husband.
Popular on BI
- The 10-year Treasury yield will drop to 3.5% by the end of next year as the massive bond rally will continue, UBS says
- Instagram's crisis highlights the bigger issues the entire ad industry is facing
- Exit polls predict BJP advantage in MP, Rajasthan, Congress win in Chhattisgarh, Telangana and tight contest in Mizoram
- GST collection surges to 8-month high in November
- Environmental Impact Assessments
- 10 Simple dietary changes to prevent heart disease
- The sure shot ‘signs’ of a successful entrepreneur
- Over 60 schools in and around Bengaluru receive bomb threat, students evacuated safely