Why people buy gold on Akshaya Tritiya
- On the day of
Akshaya Tritiya, gold, silver and jewel shops generally have long queues of customers with the total gold volume sales touching the year’s peak all over the country.
- Buying gold on Akshaya Tritiya is considered a sign of good luck and an invitation to prosperity into the household in the age-old Hindu tradition.
- Here we discuss some excerpts from the tradition suggesting why you must purchase gold on the day of Akshaya Tritiya.
AdvertisementAkshaya Tritiya, the third day of the waxing lunar phase in the month of Vishakha is one of the most auspicious days to the Hindu households. The day is earmarked for new beginnings be it a new venture, activity, construction or business. It is believed that what began on this day grows indefinitely with fewer hurdles to progress.
People invest in gold on this day deemed as a lucky move. It is believed to multiply gold stock in the household.
Given below are some traditions that suggest why buying gold on this day can bring good luck.
The day to get the blessings of Lord Kuber
Once upon a time, Kubera, the son of Vishrawava, ruled the land of Lanka. His step brother Ravan seized the city and all other wealth from Kubera, and banished him from the ‘golden’ city of Lanka. Kubera later led a devout life and performed penances and won him the blessings of Lord Brahma and Shiva.
Viswakarma, the architect of the gods, constructed a fabulous city for him named Alkapuri near Mount Kailash. Mahabharata says that it was on the day of Akshaya Tritiya that Kuber was blessed with the lordship over the wealth of heavens. On this day, he was made the controller of the Northern direction.
Hence, worshipping Lord Kuber, the god of wealth, on the day of Akshaya Tritiya will bless the household with prosperity. Since Lord Kuber had got back a lot of gold on this day, buying gold on Akshaya Tritiya is believed to be a lucky thing.
Pandavas got Akshaya Patra from sun god on this day
An anecdote from the epic Mahabharata describes the importance of this day. Once, Lord Krishna visited the Pandavas in exile in the forest. While Krishna was at their humble domicile, Draupati felt helpless as she could not treat their divine guest with a good feast.
Lord Krishna accepted a small leaf stuck to the vessel in which they had prepared food, and said their love satiated his hunger. Lord Krishna gave a boon that the Pandavas will receive Akshaya Patra from Sun god. The Akshaya Patra or the never-ending vessel supplied them with endless food throughout their exile. What began on this day is known to grow endlessly and hence people buy gold on Akshaya Tritiya hoping that their wealth will multiply in their household.
AdvertisementWhen to buy gold on
The date of Akshaya Tritiya in 2020 is Sunday, April 26, 2020. The Tritiya Tithi begins at 11:51 am on April 25, 2020 and ends at 01:22 PM on Apr 26, 2020.
The auspicious time to buy gold on Akshaya Tritiya is from 11:51 am on April 25, 2020 to 1:22 pm on April 26, 2020.
See Also -
Akshaya Tritiya puja timing and puja vidhi
How to buy gold online on Akshaya Tritiya
Popular on BI
- I've had the new iPhone 14 for 2 weeks. I should've listened to Steve Jobs' daughter because I now regret buying it.
- China tells state banks to prepare for a massive dollar dump and yuan buying spree as Beijing's prior interventions have failed to stem its currency's worst year since 1994
- Airtel 5G launched in eight cities, entire country to be covered by 2024
- Essential food item prices spiked in the last one year
- SC to hear SEBI's review petition against RIL on Oct 12
- OPINION: Can trust-based philanthropy become the mainstream?
- PM Modi on India’s 5G launch – here are the key points from the speech
- PM Modi inaugurates India Mobile Congress, experiences 5G devices being showcased