8 charts that show that corruption is still a way of life in India
- A report by Transparency International India and Local Circles shows that more than half of Indians pay bribes.
- Most of the bribes are being demanded by the police, for property registration, municipality, and transport department.
- Citizens claim ‘it was the only way to get work done’.
More than half of the people in India pay bribes to state and local officials because ‘it was the only way to get work done’, according to a survey by Local Circles and Transparency International India.
They gathered 190,000 responses at national and state levels to ascertain the corruption faced by normal citizens — and it doesn’t look like the situation is improving.
These 8 charts that show that corruption is still a way of life in India:
51% citizens paid a bribe in the last 12 months to get out of trouble
They claim that 'it was the only way to get work done'
Most of the bribes were paid out in cash
Bribes are being paid even when CCTVs are monitoring government offices
Bribes are prevalent not just with police and property registration but other top departments as well
Even with new laws and claims of reduction in corruption, most citizens see bribery continuing as before
Most states do not have a functioning hotline to report bribery and corruption
The government hasn’t taken any steps to improve the situation — even if they have, citizens don’t think it was very effective
Popular on BI
- Best sandwich makers in India
- Orange alerts issued to 3 states by the weather department – what does it mean?
- Best moisturizer for face in India for daily use
- You can pre-book iPhone 14 even before its launch, only if you are willing to pay $9,520 for it
- Twitter seeks judicial review against new content blocking directives from the IT Ministry