85 per cent daily wagers in Ahmedabad hit by lockdown: Survey
The nationwide lockdown, which has been in place sinceMarch to contain the spread of coronavirus, has renderedseveral unskilled labourers and daily wagers jobless.
The IIM-A conducted the survey among 500 householdsin the city that earned less than 19,500 per month, therelease here stated.
"At least 85 per cent households were not earningregular incomes anymore and most have lost or will lose theirentire income (in the lockdown)," the survey data revealed.
According to the study, most households have losttheir monthly incomes (in the range of Rs 10,000 to Rs 15,000for a large section).
About 54 per cent of the 500 families said they had tocut down from three meals to two meals a day, while 60 percent revealed that they did not have enough food rations tosurvive the lockdown.
The survey was carried out between March 24 and April9, among families of bus, autorickshaw drivers, daily wagers,plumbers and vegetable vendors, who largely depend on theirdaily earnings.The study was conducted by a team of researchers fromIIM-A, headed by professor Ankur Sarin, the release stated. PDARU ARU
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- Delhi to Kochi - Indian destinations international travellers are looking for in 2023
- Post pandemic, more organizations are moving towards e-recruitment, says a survey by HirePro
- Sensex, Nifty decline for 2nd day on selling in FMCG, steel stocks
- Foreign investors continue to pull out of Indian stocks, sell equities worth ₹3,431 crore in Feb so far
- Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit jumps 91% to ₹1,588 crore, misses estimates