85 per cent daily wagers in Ahmedabad hit by lockdown: Survey
The nationwide lockdown, which has been in place sinceMarch to contain the spread of coronavirus, has renderedseveral unskilled labourers and daily wagers jobless.
The IIM-A conducted the survey among 500 householdsin the city that earned less than 19,500 per month, therelease here stated.
"At least 85 per cent households were not earningregular incomes anymore and most have lost or will lose theirentire income (in the lockdown)," the survey data revealed.
According to the study, most households have losttheir monthly incomes (in the range of Rs 10,000 to Rs 15,000for a large section).
About 54 per cent of the 500 families said they had tocut down from three meals to two meals a day, while 60 percent revealed that they did not have enough food rations tosurvive the lockdown.
The survey was carried out between March 24 and April9, among families of bus, autorickshaw drivers, daily wagers,plumbers and vegetable vendors, who largely depend on theirdaily earnings.The study was conducted by a team of researchers fromIIM-A, headed by professor Ankur Sarin, the release stated. PDARU ARU
(This story has not been edited by Business Insider and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed we subscribe to.)
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- OPEC Plus will continue oil output cuts as prices remain unchanged
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more